Author Topic: A/C Compressor Service Tag  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Countrysquire

• Houston Vapor Blasting
A/C Compressor Service Tag
« on: January 08, 2023, 01:47:11 PM »
My 6/20/64 has what I believe to be a dealer installed air conditioner with all of the original parts installed. The five sided service tag has broken off so l will need to replace it.

What is the correct tag for this?  The 1964 tags had ?1964 Ford Air Conditioner?, while the ?65 and later had ?Ford Air Conditioner? without the model year.

Thanks,
Bobby
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316
www.houstonvaporblasting.com/

64.5 Dearborn Coupe
5F07D173***
65A M 86 20F 62 1 5

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: A/C Compressor Service Tag
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 10:59:13 PM »
So a couple of questions though based on your post I and likely guess.

The compressor was made by whom?  Guess what it is made of would tell us if that is all you have.

Of course you likely don't know when the AC was added unless you have the original order form from the dealer, the hand written one of the purchase/bill of sale where it should show up if it was added by the dealer prior to the sale of the car. If it was added later then you may have to make a choice
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Countrysquire

• Houston Vapor Blasting
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 11:25:26 PM »
It?s a York compressor with a second quarter of 1964 date. Based on what I have learned from the Mannel book (page 4-59) the six blade fan with no clutch makes me think it was dealer installed as a Fordaire kit. All of this could have been installed at a later date, but the 2-64 compressor date makes me assume that it was likely installed when new or not long after. The car was sold new in deep Southeast Texas, and even if it wasn?t installed by the dealer when new, my guess is that it was installed not long after delivery and a Fordaire kit was used.

Thanks,
Bobby
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316

64.5 Dearborn Coupe
5F07D173***
65A M 86 20F 62 1 5

Offline Murf

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 12:36:28 PM »
For what it is worth, it seems that when a car is missing the fan clutch the Ac system has been added somewhere in the cars life as opposed to being a factory installation.  If you have the original radiator you may find a clue from looking at the side straps for stamped part or engineering numbers.  Tinted glass on many cars were ordered with factory AC. 
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline Countrysquire

• Houston Vapor Blasting
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2023, 02:21:10 PM »
Murf,

It has the original radiator, C4ZE-8005 A1, with 10 fins per inch. It certainly doesn?t appear to have been born with A/C. No real way to know if it was installed by the dealer prior to delivery, or by them or someone else days, months, or years later. That said, I do feel confident that the Fordaire kit they used was boxed in 1964 and it appears to have the unique 64.5 compressor mounting bracket. I guess I need to figure out what kind of tag the kit would have had.

Thanks,
Bobby
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316

64.5 Dearborn Coupe
5F07D173***
65A M 86 20F 62 1 5

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2023, 06:11:58 PM »
It?s a York compressor with a second quarter of 1964 date.

Thanks - that is what I would expect to hear reported given your description of a dealer installed.

Based on what I have learned from the Mannel book (page 4-59) the six blade fan with no clutch makes me think it was dealer installed as a Fordaire kit. All of this could have been installed at a later date, but the 2-64 compressor date makes me assume that it was likely installed when new or not long after. The car was sold new in deep Southeast Texas, and even if it wasn't installed by the dealer when new, my guess is that it was installed not long after delivery and a Fordaire kit was used.

We might be over thinking the question - we don't need to know when the kit was installed in this particular car. Your only looking for the appropriate tag for a compress with a 2-64 date.

Guess the task is just to confirm that such a compressor did get the 64 style tag is the focus. Would start with looking through all the compressors for sale on Ebay, Also maybe the earlier Ford clubs or forums might have something worth while since this is a very early thing for Mustangs.  Just some thoughts that might help guide you to a conclusion

Jeff Speegle

Offline Countrysquire

• Houston Vapor Blasting
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2023, 10:36:37 PM »
I agree Jeff, I think it comes down to what tag, if any, would have been included in the Fordaire kit. This car is going to be a tweener and not a fit in any concours category, but I don?t want the car to be wrong in any way if I can help it.

Thanks,
Bobby
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316

64.5 Dearborn Coupe
5F07D173***
65A M 86 20F 62 1 5

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2023, 12:03:31 AM »
I agree Jeff, I think it comes down to what tag, if any, would have been included in the Fordaire kit. This car is going to be a tweener and not a fit in any concours category, but I don?t want the car to be wrong in any way if I can help it.

Thanks,
Bobby

On later kits I've owned the tag was attached to the side of the compressor. Looked but unfortunately don't have any pictures of an early kit :( or I would post it.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Chris

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2023, 09:14:40 AM »
I have pictures of the early kit, will try and dig them up.
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline Countrysquire

• Houston Vapor Blasting
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2023, 09:51:33 AM »
Chris, that would be great and much appreciated.

Looking at the Shop Tips from April ?64, they list two kits, C5ZZ-19700-A and B, for 6 and 8 cylinder cars respectively. The later kits that I?ve seen advertised with F and G suffixes. I assume the difference was for the different pulleys and mounting brackets for the alternator cars. That?s all I?ve been able to find regarding this and doesn?t really answer my question. Never thought someone would possibly have an actual photo of an early kit.
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316

64.5 Dearborn Coupe
5F07D173***
65A M 86 20F 62 1 5

Offline Countrysquire

• Houston Vapor Blasting
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2023, 10:31:01 PM »
I thought I would add some pictures of the other components that were part of the dealer installed kit for early cars and all match up to what is described in the Mannel book.

Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316

64.5 Dearborn Coupe
5F07D173***
65A M 86 20F 62 1 5

Offline KDunne

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2023, 06:29:51 AM »
I thought I would add some pictures of the other components that were part of the dealer installed kit for early cars and all match up to what is described in the Mannel book.

Thank you for posting these photos.  Very helpful

Offline Countrysquire

• Houston Vapor Blasting
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2023, 10:58:32 PM »
Forgot to include the photo of the included crank pulley. It?s a four sheave cast iron pulley and weighs just slightly less than an iron FE intake.

Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316

64.5 Dearborn Coupe
5F07D173***
65A M 86 20F 62 1 5

Offline KDunne

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2023, 11:47:17 AM »

Bobby any chance you could grab a measurement on the Fan?  Diameter? 

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2023, 04:49:52 PM »
AC cars came with a fan clutch with a 5 blade fan
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe