Author Topic: 1967 Dark Saddle Dash Pad  (Read 669 times)

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
1967 Dark Saddle Dash Pad
« on: November 27, 2023, 01:54:18 PM »
I am wondering what to do about a dark saddle dash pad for my signature car. That color does not seem to be available as a reproduction any longer and I suspect it would be difficult to find an original. There is a dark red available and wondering if that is the best choice of base color to start with for dyeing purposes? Any advice would be appreciated.
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1967 Dark Saddle Dash Pad
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2023, 02:48:08 PM »
I am wondering what to do about a dark saddle dash pad for my signature car. That color does not seem to be available as a reproduction any longer and I suspect it would be difficult to find an original. There is a dark red available and wondering if that is the best choice of base color to start with for dyeing purposes? Any advice would be appreciated.
Sorry there is no easy button on this one that I am aware of . You may be forced to dye one that is a different color like many have done in the past. . Given the dash pad is not exposed to abrasion the faux color should stand up well.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2023, 07:26:24 PM »
Also many are not happy with the reproductions as far as looks but it depends on how far your aiming for for your overall goal. When recoloring remember to clean the surface over and over and consider a adhesive promoter 

As Bob mentioned - at least its not a wear item or one that will be flex every time you sit in or drive the car
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2023, 01:40:22 PM »
Thank you both for this information.
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2024, 02:07:48 PM »
Over the weekend I picked up an original dash pad in Dark Saddle. This dash pad was removed from a car back in the late 70's early 80's because the owner wanted a black interior. The dash pad is soft and crack free. The only defect it has is one of the threaded studs is missing.

What should I do to preserve the soft vinyl?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2024, 02:39:30 PM »
Over the weekend I picked up an original dash pad in Dark Saddle. This dash pad was removed from a car back in the late 70's early 80's because the owner wanted a black interior. The dash pad is soft and crack free. The only defect it has is one of the threaded studs is missing.

What should I do to preserve the soft vinyl?
Since we were talking before about changing the color or even bringing back a faded color , If the pad is dyed/painted then that application will keep any preservatives from getting to the vinyl underneath. I am not aware of much you can do at that point other then keeping it away from florescent lighting .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2024, 06:39:25 PM »
Since we were talking before about changing the color or even bringing back a faded color , If the pad is dyed/painted then that application will keep any preservatives from getting to the vinyl underneath. I am not aware of much you can do at that point other then keeping it away from florescent lighting .

And direct sunlight  ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2024, 07:48:49 PM »
Thank you both. My original inquiry was about painting/dyeing a new pad because dark saddle is no longer available.

Because I found an original pad in the correct color for my car, the focus is now on preserving. Should I have started a new topic?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2024, 02:24:02 PM »
Thank you both. My original inquiry was about painting/dyeing a new pad because dark saddle is no longer available.

Because I found an original pad in the correct color for my car, the focus is now on preserving. Should I have started a new topic?

Would be a good idea since your looking to change focus. Since the new subject is not year specific and preserving an original dash pad can apply to almost all years I would not put a specific year in the title and just post it here under the general Interior section.
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2024, 08:13:11 PM »
It's also good to know what not to use in "restoring", "repairing", or "cleaning" an original dash pad. Don't use any solvent based cleaner: acetone, thinner, alcohol, etc. I've used a couple of them to get a stain off, but wiped the liquid off in a minute or less, and then washed with a spray cleaner (409, etc). "Armor-All" was another one. I'll say - "mixed results", and let the user "beware". On my shelf is a container of "saddle soap". I think that's what I used (about 15-20 years ago).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.