Author Topic: Horns sound terrible  (Read 339 times)

Offline Building 3

Horns sound terrible
« on: April 03, 2024, 04:21:31 PM »
I have been having a problem with the sound of the horns on my 1966 Metuchen Mustang. If both horns are connected the sound is a terrible discordant noise, more like a squawk. if I disconnect the HI horn, the LO note horn sound fine, likewise, if I disconnect the LO horn, the HI horn sounds as it should. All parts are original to the car: horns, wiring, steering column, steering wheel, horn button etc.  Does anyone have any ideas as to what is the problem and how to fix it?  Thanks
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Horns sound terrible
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2024, 04:54:00 PM »
start at the horn. clean all connectors clear back to the st. wheel you are losing voltage from bad connections. also there is a screw on the back for tone adjustments.
5F09C331248

Online jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2024, 06:05:39 PM »
I have been having a problem with the sound of the horns on my 1966 Metuchen Mustang. If both horns are connected the sound is a terrible discordant noise, more like a squawk. if I disconnect the HI horn, the LO note horn sound fine, likewise, if I disconnect the LO horn, the HI horn sounds as it should. All parts are original to the car: horns, wiring, steering column, steering wheel, horn button etc.  Does anyone have any ideas as to what is the problem and how to fix it?  Thanks
Is your spund "test" using just the battery, or have you got the same lousy sounds with the engine running (that's usually gives a higher voltage to the system)? And as stated above, clean up the connections. I recommend using a pencil type ink eraser on the spades connectors. That type of eraer is more abrasive. Also, the adjusting screw can be removed (sometimes). If you get it out, give a shot of WD-40 down the screw hole. That "may" help.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Building 3

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 11:48:36 AM »
Thanks for those tips. The car was not running. I am in the process of getting the car ready after the winter hibernation. So, I will charge the battery up and get it started. if the horns don't sound correctly then I'll clean up those connectors.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2024, 11:55:46 AM »
try connecting the horns straight to the charged battery and see what you get. you can put a voltmeter in series with the connection to see what they draw.
5F09C331248

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2024, 12:34:13 PM »
One thing that is often overlooked - the factory greased the terminals for the horn on the turn signal switch. If there is no grease on the replacement switch then the copper wears away until only the steel remains.

The factory used white lithium grease.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Online jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2024, 04:33:56 PM »
try connecting the horns straight to the charged battery and see what you get. you can put a voltmeter in series with the connection to see what they draw.
That would be an ammeter and it will tell you "something" that you won't relate to.
However, with the engine off and key off, run a jumper (one with a test probe) from the positive battery terminal (the cable that goes to the starter solenoid, usually red) and the closest horn power in terminal, sliding the female spade contact off just enough to still make electrical contact to sound and enough to stick the test probe jumper on. Both horns should sound. If lousy, it's the horns. If good, it's the wiring from the steering wheel to the horns. (Sometimes I forget my basic electronic troubleshooting training.)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Building 3

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2024, 10:36:35 AM »
Thanks for the tips. I did clean the contacts on the horn and the mounting points to the body. Then I charged up the battery and took the car out for a drive. Horns sounded great, as new. Thanks for the help.