Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Suspension

drum brake backing plates

(1/1)

1969 Cale II:
This a generic question, has anybody seen, are there photos of, numbers stamped on the backing plate outsides in the small recess near adjustor hole? 2 different Fords I have done have a 4 digit number. Wonder how wide spread it might be.

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: 1969 Cale II on April 09, 2024, 10:15:03 PM ---This a generic question, has anybody seen, are there photos of, numbers stamped on the backing plate outsides in the small recess near adjustor hole? 2 different Fords I have done have a 4 digit number. Wonder how wide spread it might be.

--- End quote ---
If you mean the numbers that identify the backing plates then yes . I am under the impression that the numbers  have to do with identification for diameter and brake pad width.  However I don't know of a comprehensive listing with applications. For example I only keep track of the few unique different ones for the Shelby applications.

J_Speegle:
Agree with the identification. Two makers and two different practices as far as marking

If your are number by the brake adjusting hole then they are likely Bendix made

GinoJ:
These are from my early 67 ( but Aug 66 ) S code Convt.  One Bendix, one Kelsey-Hayes.

Neither have numbers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version