1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1967 Mustang

Front Windshield

(1/2) > >>

kkupec02:
I seem to have all original glass in my GT500 except for my windshield which is replacement glass from the 1980's no doubt. I hope to have the car painted in the next year or so. What is the consensus on finding original windshield glass in good shape at a reasonable price or should I just go replacement with maybe some etching kit? Also, my rear glass is pretty scratched up. Might think about replacing that as well. Asking early as it may take some time to find good glass. Thanks.

ruppstang:
IMHO the chances of finding a windshield worthy of a concours restored car is slim to none. Most of what you will find are scratched and pitted and on top of that you will be looking for a correct date code. You might find one good enough for an unrestored car but not a restoration. You can polish out some of the small scratches, but the deep ones and rock nicks will not come out. You might find a good back glass if you find a southern car that did not get frost scraped off hundreds of times. If it were me, I would get both new and put my efforts in another part of the restoration.

carlite65:
i have to agree with marty here. a pecked up windshield will stand out like a sore thumb on fresh paint.

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: ruppstang on April 14, 2024, 09:30:16 AM ---IMHO the chances of finding a windshield worthy of a concours restored car is slim to none. Most of what you will find are scratched and pitted and on top of that you will be looking for a correct date code. You might find one good enough for an unrestored car but not a restoration. You can polish out some of the small scratches, but the deep ones and rock nicks will not come out. You might find a good back glass if you find a southern car that did not get frost scraped off hundreds of times. If it were me, I would get both new and put my efforts in another part of the restoration.

--- End quote ---
++++1 . I suspect comparable odds to hitting all the numbers you need on a powerball ticket.

RoyceP:

--- Quote from: kkupec02 on April 14, 2024, 12:08:14 AM ---I seem to have all original glass in my GT500 except for my windshield which is replacement glass from the 1980's no doubt. I hope to have the car painted in the next year or so. What is the consensus on finding original windshield glass in good shape at a reasonable price or should I just go replacement with maybe some etching kit? Also, my rear glass is pretty scratched up. Might think about replacing that as well. Asking early as it may take some time to find good glass. Thanks.

--- End quote ---

I've used these guys for the last several windshields. You decide on tint or not, the logo, and the date code.
https://ecsauto.com/products/1964-76-ford-vehicles-windshield-w-etching-your-date-code-correct-logo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version