Author Topic: ram air hole in non-ram air hood  (Read 2015 times)

Offline mlanier1

ram air hole in non-ram air hood
« on: July 11, 2011, 08:13:37 PM »
My 1969 M code mach 1 built 4/9/69 at Metuchen plant has a perfectly round hole in the hood under the non-ram air hood scoop.  I assumed that this was done by a previous owner but I understand that some early 69 Mach 1 came from the factory with these cutouts. Is there a way to determine if this is original to my car? I believe that my hood is original but I don't know how to determine this?  I can't find any markings. I saw 2 different non-ram air 69 Mach 1's on Ebay yesterday with cutouts similiar to mine so I'm curious to find out more information. 

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
Re: ram air hole in non-ram air hood
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 08:54:52 PM »
From what I am aware of, the 1969 Mach 1's that did come with the Cut-Outs had 4 Holes with a + of metal in between them. Hopefully someone will come along with a photo or two. I do not believe it should be a single Round hole.
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline drummingrocks

Too much junk, too little time.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 11:19:40 PM »
Here's pictures of both eBay cars (pictures 1 and 2), as well as the car mentioned in the original post.

eBay Car 1:

eBay Car 2:

Original Poster's (mlanier1) Car:

« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 11:35:25 PM by drummingrocks »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 12:40:24 AM »
There is no way for sure to tell if your car originally came with the cut outs - though IMHO it did not since your car was built later in the year after the factory stopped doing this

You can check for the date code on your hood - its possible that it was swapped from an earlier built car and a previous owner eliminated the metal between the pie cuts to produce a simple circle

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 09:52:14 AM »
Where would the date code be stamped on the hood?  We looked the other day, and never could find it.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 12:14:26 PM »
Near the rear edge and above the left valve cover.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.