Author Topic: 68 GT500 KR Convertible  (Read 2623 times)

Offline nham3407

68 GT500 KR Convertible
« on: December 22, 2010, 03:09:59 PM »
Trying to get some information regarding Shelby's.  I know of a 68 GT500KR barn car and have taken some pictures of it.  My question is, Did Shelby or Ford stamp the VIN number at the top of the shock tower on the front side?  This car appears to be a true Shelby, but I have never seen the VIN on the shock tower before.  Just to clarify, this is on the shock tower and not on the apron.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 68 GT500 KR Convertible
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 06:10:08 PM »
Trying to get some information regarding Shelby's.  I know of a 68 GT500KR barn car and have taken some pictures of it.  My question is, Did Shelby or Ford stamp the VIN number at the top of the shock tower on the front side?  This car appears to be a true Shelby, but I have never seen the VIN on the shock tower before.  Just to clarify, this is on the shock tower and not on the apron.
I haven't seen any examples of the " Ford " VIN being stamped on the shock tower before but maybe others have different observations. I have seen many odd Ford VIN stampings . It would be prudent to check the VIN numbers in the normal areas to confirm they coincide. If no VIN in the normal areas then it would open the door to other possibilities about its authenticity IMHO. Bob 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 09:07:39 PM »
Never seen a HJ built Mustang (or ant Shelby) stamped in that manner.

Does it (the stamping) have the star on the leading and trailing end?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 07:14:33 PM »
I have never seen a stamping on a 68 shock tower on any mustang/shelby. I would start with the apron stamp and go from there. If you need more info you can pm me.

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 07:35:57 PM »
Sounds odd for a '68, but as Tim pointed out I would investigate all the aprons for a correct number first.