Author Topic: 1966 Low Profile 8K Rally Pac paint?  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Morsel

1966 Low Profile 8K Rally Pac paint?
« on: February 06, 2019, 06:41:49 PM »
Hey all,

Just looking for a quick opinion here from the group. On a 1966 low profile 8K Rally Pac, would you use the same paint as your interior to match sheen or would you use something a touch flatter. I know about the wrinkle finish, just asking more about the final and if once you've achieved the correct wrinkle, do you paint the whole thing again matching the interior paint? Obviously the older Rally Pac's always look a little flatter based on age, but when they were new and installed did they match the paint of the interior (specifically black)? Anyway thoughts or opinions?

I've also heard that some paint the inner smooth area by the lenses a little flatter color, but always question that?

Thanks,

Jason

February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Online CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 1966 Low Profile 8K Rally Pac paint?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 08:52:03 PM »
The inner smooth area should be satin black, the reason was to reduce glare.  Common mistake on restored rally-pac's.

Regarding the crinkle color, it should match the interior... although not all the colors were used.  Believe Black, White, Red, Blue were the main rally-pac colors for low profile versions.  You will want to get crinkle paint made to match the interior color.  I've had issues painting over black with color, the crinkle would lift easily.  Best to do it the right way.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Morsel

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 09:18:24 PM »
The inner smooth area should be satin black, the reason was to reduce glare.  Common mistake on restored rally-pac's.

Regarding the crinkle color, it should match the interior... although not all the colors were used.  Believe Black, White, Red, Blue were the main rally-pac colors for low profile versions.  You will want to get crinkle paint made to match the interior color.  I've had issues painting over black with color, the crinkle would lift easily.  Best to do it the right way.

Thank you so much Charles, the exact info I was looking for...

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 06:25:51 AM »
The crinkle finish usually requires you to bake at low temperature for a few minutes.  I restored the pod on my Shelby. It came out stunning.

-Keith

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 12:12:28 PM »
I was happy with the VHT wrinkle paint, but of course that was only available in black. I used our toaster oven (don't tell the wife  :-X) set on 200 degrees for about 5-10 minutes to help cure the paint and get the wrinkle finish. I was pleased with the results.

+1 to Charles' comments on the inner gauge area. I used a satin black to match the paint on the gauge assembly. I painted this area after the wrinkle finish was nice and dry.

Here are some pics..
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline Morsel

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 04:59:27 PM »
Yep and yep, I already read through all the comments when I searched for others peoples methods and absolutely was going to bake. I'm lucky because mine is black so that helps and saw yours previously Hipo giddy and have the VHT already ;)

Thanks for the suggestions and help.

Jason

Online CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 05:31:09 PM »
Instead of oven or toaster, a heat gun works perfectly fine as well.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Morsel

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 05:51:35 PM »
Instead of oven or toaster, a heat gun works perfectly fine as well.

I don't trust my heat gun skills ;) Going to bake it and watch it to make sure I get good even heat and wrinkle, haha.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 06:43:54 PM »
Heat gun would work in a pinch but impossible to maintain an even heat. Shove it in the oven. It doesn't smell the house up anyway. Send the spouse to the mall if you're concerned while you bake it.  8)

Offline Morsel

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 08:23:45 PM »
Heat gun would work in a pinch but impossible to maintain an even heat. Shove it in the oven. It doesn't smell the house up anyway. Send the spouse to the mall if you're concerned while you bake it.  8)

Haha, it's my house and I pay all the bills, I can do whatever I want ;) I've actually already baked some other stuff that was really stinky and probably toxic, had to have my lady take all the animals to her friends house while I was doing it... so this will be a breeze.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 10:41:01 PM »
I got yelled at for possibly poisoning the cat for baking some gun parts.  Strangely though she loves the smell of brake cleaner... ???

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 12:11:21 PM »
 I too had issues with the heat gun when I refinished my 65 Rally Pac. I melted the plastic filler piece that I had redone in wrinkle paint  :-[  My wife just bought a new toaster oven, so the old one goes to the garage with me! I'll keep it in the attic so its readily available.  8)
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'