Author Topic: '65 Convertible snap and strap?  (Read 4284 times)

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
'65 Convertible snap and strap?
« on: September 09, 2011, 04:04:11 PM »
Can anyone tell me IF my Late July 1965 Dearborn car should have the snap and strap in the center that (I guess) was used originally to hold the rear window rolled up? I know the MCA rules clearly say that "if there is a snap then there must be a strap" "no snap, no strap" I'm just curious as to if mine should have one, I've really not seen very many at shows.....would anyone have a picture of one? (I did see Jim Lane's at Waldorf) Thanks!

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: '65 Convertible snap and strap?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 08:48:55 PM »
For whatever it's worth, my January '65 Dearborn conv never had the snap or the strap so it must have come along later than that. 8)
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 10:29:54 PM »
My June 65  Dearborn car has a snap and stap.If ther is a hole in the bow it should have a snap and strap.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 07:05:40 AM »
My June 65  Dearborn car has a snap and stap.If ther is a hole in the bow it should have a snap and strap.

Unfortunitly my car's original top frame was so badly rusted it had to be replaced during the restoration-I never looked at the original to see if there was still a snap or hole there for it.
If anyone HAS a strap they would loan me so I could have my upholstery guy duplicate it I'd sure appreciate it-you would have my absolute word that you would get it back asap, also a couple pictures of an installed strap would be great as well if anyone has them-I have nothing to go by here but a quick look I had at Jim Lane's at Waldorf. My car is a LATE July 1965 Dearborn produced, so based on the above notation I feel that I should have the strap. Thanks!

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 11:51:32 AM »
 Can't lend you the strap.It is sewn to the rear window.I can probably get mesurements and pictures in the next few days.
  Mike

Online CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 01:43:58 PM »
Also an FYI... the strap was usually made of stretchy-type material.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Ivygreen65

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 03:36:37 PM »
Can't lend you the strap.It is sewn to the rear window.I can probably get mesurements and pictures in the next few days.
  Mike
Mike,

I would also like to see some detail about the strap.  My top frame has the snap and I'm getting ready to have the top put on.  I have some interior pictures of your car that I took at the Johnson City show a few years ago and one shows the strap, but the black strap doesn't show up well enough to get any detail.

Stacy

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 08:15:05 PM »
Ok I have taken some pictures of the strap,but have no way of posting the pictures.I can email them if someone wants to post them up.The mesurements are:12mm long and 1.75mm wide.
  Mike

Offline Ivygreen65

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 08:39:07 PM »
Mike,

You can e-mail them to me at stacytm@comcast dot net.  Thanks for the help. 

By the way, I have lost the CD that you gave me of the photos of your convertible. If you have an extra, I would love to have a replacement and would be happy to pay for your trouble and shipping. Let me know when you e-mail the strap pictures.

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 07:31:55 AM »
  Mike

ok, I didn't realize it was sewn to the window-I guess I DO need a to see a picture of it installed.
I wonder now if its possible to add the strap (by a pro upholstery shop) with the top on the car?

Online CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 09:16:02 AM »
If you have the '66 rear tacking strip, the rear window can be unzipped and unbolted from the car without disturbing the rest of the top.  Otherwise, the '65 style is curved out into the quarter area of the top and would be a major pain to remove (taking staples out, etc...)  Any skilled upholstery shop should be able to hand sew the strap on though.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 05:19:59 PM »
Boy, I've got to see a picture, or anouther car in person.....I did see Jim Lane's at Waldorf, just a quick glance-his is a '66 Signalflare GT Convertible........I think if anything my top frame is from an earlier car iirc.......

Offline Ivygreen65

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 09:31:57 PM »
Mike e-mailed me pictures of the strap on his 65 convertible and I told him I would host them and post them here.

Thanks to Mike for taking the time to provide some very detailed pictures.

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 09:31:09 AM »
Thanks to you both for this!!  I think my upholstery guy can make a few of these...........wonder if anyone else needs one?? I think I'll have him make 6 to start with........I know I need 1 and would share a few with others that needed them for what they cost.....

What is the width of the elastic strap material? and how long is it from where its sewed on to the snap?

Again, Thanks VERY much for this!!

One more question: Did Ford intend for the rear window to be rolled up before putting the top down?-I used to ocassionally up zip the window on anouther Mustang Convertible I had, sometimes I didn't-can't remember ever having a strap though......
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 10:06:18 AM by C5ZZKGT »

Offline Murf

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 05:12:20 PM »
Can anyone identify the material used in this strap and/or a source for it?  Yes, I would like to have one made of the corrct material.
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior