Author Topic: Assembly Line Flow Chart  (Read 14962 times)

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
Re: Assembly Line Flow Chart
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2011, 06:03:11 AM »
WOW again!  This is exactly what I hoped would happen.  The information is being contributed at a steady rate and the puzzle is coming together.  Thanks.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 06:48:20 AM »
I found a couple of references in Marti's Tagbook (pgs. 31 & 126) indicating that for the 1966 model year the warranty data plate that was attached to the door, and the metal strip on the owner card, were one piece that were stamped together and then separated.

The owner card portion was then attached to the owner card and inserted into a clip in the glove box.

Would it be reasonable to assume that this entire procedure, including the attachment of the warranty data plate to the door, took place at the same time - that being when the glove box was present in the car? If that's the case, then the data plate wasn't installed on the car at the beginning of the Trim & Chassis line, but sometime later when the glove box was installed - and probably the underdash wiring harness that feed the emergency flasher and glove box light.
'66 6-cylinder Sprint Convertible
Metuchen - Scheduled May 10th; Built June 21st

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 02:41:23 PM »
I found a couple of references in Marti's Tagbook (pgs. 31 & 126) indicating that for the 1966 model year the warranty data plate that was attached to the door, and the metal strip on the owner card, were one piece that were stamped together and then separated........

Never seen one from an early car - not sure if it was done the same way during 64-66. Not sure if the larger 65 door tag with an addition to be removed would have fit in the stamping machine

Would it be reasonable to assume that this entire procedure, including the attachment of the warranty data plate to the door, took place at the same time - that being when the glove box was present in the car? ...................

IMHO not a safe to assume that. Its a little detail and think not making an that linkage is better than making the wrong one if this list is going beyond this discussion since many would take things as facts (we've seen it too many times before) rather than guesses no matter what explanation accompanies it ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 06:43:40 AM »
Never seen one from an early car - not sure if it was done the same way during 64-66. Not sure if the larger 65 door tag with an addition to be removed would have fit in the stamping machine

Marti says in his book, that the practice was introduced in 1966 - so it wouldn't apply to 64-65. I believe the A-M machine would only accommodate 2.5" x 3.5".

IMHO not a safe to assume that. Its a little detail and think not making an that linkage is better than making the wrong one if this list is going beyond this discussion since many would take things as facts (we've seen it too many times before) rather than guesses no matter what explanation accompanies it ;)

I hear what you're saying, but don't forget, the current location of the warranty tag installation in the flow chart is an assumption as well. I don't have any photos that would establish a definitive time line - just written descriptions. It's possible that for the 64-65 model years, that the tag was installed in the sequence we currently have. And beginning in 66 the tag was installed later in assembly. I really don't see the 3/4" x 3-1/2" strip that would become part of the owner card kicking around on the floor boards of the car waiting for the glove box to be installed. ;)

Offline bryancobb

• 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 05:15:06 PM »
I have 20 or 30 individual pics, (you guys have probably seen them.  They are from 35mm B&W film roll) that I'd like to put somewhere so they could be shuffled into chronological order with a # 1 through ?? and so anyone with certain knowledge could post captions under the pictures describing what is being done by the workers, as well as any details of the tooling and equipment we are seeing in the background.

Can anyone help me?

66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 07:18:30 PM »
Bryan,

You can send copies to my email: petebush@comcast.net

I would think that Jeff could also help. And maybe Charles? Maybe others?

You can then pool the results and look for any discrepancies. The group can then discuss the rationale behind the order and build consensus from there.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 08:19:58 PM »
You could put them in the sites photo  library then they could be posted to the thread and shuffled within the thread
Jeff Speegle

Offline bryancobb

• 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2011, 08:54:18 PM »
I think that's what I'll do tomorrow.  They are small pictures, probably only a few hundred pixels each, but if you squint a little, you can really see a lot of detail.  It's amazing how your brain fills in the data that's not there.

Pete, I'll email them to you tomorrow.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 09:11:43 PM »
It's amazing how your brain fills in the data that's not there.

Actually, that can be more a hindrance than a help. Often times the brain fills in information that shouldn't be there.  ;) Have you ever gotten eyewitness reports of a suspect from several people that varied immensely? That's why it's good having many eyes looking at it, and building consensus and logic to support the ordering.

Offline bryancobb

• 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 02:09:28 PM »
Just added 39 SMALL old assembly line pictures that may provide some information.
They are in my gallery.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 02:11:19 PM by bryancobb »
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 07:27:29 PM »
Bryan,

Wouldn't it be easier to sort them in batches by referencing the film strip number in the original photo grouping below?

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 08:23:42 PM »
Good stuff-thanks for posting. 

I visited the Ford World Headquarters last summer and I found a small file of PR shots (File #CN-3195) in their photo department in the basement.  They were from August of '64 and showed a family touring the Dearborn Assembly Plant. They are color shots and show some nice scenes.  The problem was they wanted $50 each for the photos, way too expensive to buy just for the heck of it.  But, if anyone is really serious, those shots are there waiting to be purchased. ;)
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 09:07:45 PM »
I visited the Ford World Headquarters last summer and I found a small file of PR shots (File #CN-3195) in their photo department in the basement.  They were from August of '64 and showed a family touring the Dearborn Assembly Plant. They are color shots and show some nice scenes.  The problem was they wanted $50 each for the photos, way too expensive to buy just for the heck of it.  But, if anyone is really serious, those shots are there waiting to be purchased. ;)

Gary how many shots in the set??

Unfortunately $50 is about the going rate these days. Maybe we can work on this for the site
Jeff Speegle

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2011, 09:20:36 PM »
Jeff- 

There are 24 shots in the set, but of those, 12 are actually in the plant.  The others are in some guy's office shaking hands and looking pretty.  The factory shots show the engine drop area, a huge pallet full of Rally Pacs waiting to be installed, a work area with fender emblems, engine bay and front wheelhouse details before fenders were installed, fenders on hooks traveling to the assembly line and a few other shots with Mustangs in the background going down the line.  Good shots for sure.

Gary
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2011, 07:34:38 AM »
Here is a suggested sequence for the photos using Bryan's letter codes and the film strip numbers.

Group #1    Firewall/ Toe Board – BP Line
AA – 15
BB – 16
CC – 17
DD – 18
EE – 19
FF – 20
GG – 21
HH – 22
Group #2   Quarter Panel – BP Line
LL – 4
MM – 5
NN – 6
OO – 7
PP – 8
QQ – 9
RR – 10
SS – 11
TT – 12
Group #3  Body Prep Before Paint – BP Line
X – 17
Y – 18
W – 19
V – 20
U – 21
T – 22
S – 23
R – 24
Q – 25 (Bryan I think you forgot this picture)
P – 26
O – 27
N – 28
M – 29
L – 30
K – 31
J – 32
I – 33
JJ – 34
KK – 35
Group #4  Before & After Front Fenders – TC Line
UU – 13