Author Topic: 71 Sportroof with Factory sunroof  (Read 4699 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
71 Sportroof with Factory sunroof
« on: November 01, 2011, 09:30:37 PM »
Found this and thought it interesting. Posting it here since once the auction is gone so will the info and pictures ;)

Don't know the car nor owner - auction will likely be gone before many of you see it anyway

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-Ford-Mustang-Sports-Roof-NO-RESERVE-Well-Documented-/290623314024?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item43aa7fd868

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline c9zx

Re: 71 Sportroof with Factory sunroof
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 11:23:15 AM »
Jeff, Thanks for posting this. It seems legitimate to me. I'd heard rumors about a 71 with a sunroof but thought it was an aftermarket conversion.  Chuck
Thanks, Chuck

1969 G code Cougar Eliminator
1972 Q code Mach 1, auto, air, 2F05Q183426, 03/16/72
CSX 7031

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 01:39:50 AM »
Yes the invoice to the company that did the sun roofs sort of seals it - unless it was a fake (don't believe it is in any way) and then you should be able to cross check it with a Marti report. Now that I think of it - kind of surprised that the seller did not show a Marti report but then not everyone buys one

Glad to share and as mentioned, after a few weeks the pictures and info will be gone. Though we might see the car again at a show or in a magazine at some point
Jeff Speegle

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 10:55:31 PM »
I don't think this is a factory sunroof.  Look at the bill of sale/shipping address and it is: American Sun Roof in Southgate, MI.  Dollars to doughnuts American Sun Roof installed the sunroof and passed the vehicle back to the LA area for final sales.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 01:53:40 AM »
I don't think this is a factory sunroof.  Look at the bill of sale/shipping address and it is: American Sun Roof in Southgate, MI.  Dollars to doughnuts American Sun Roof installed the sunroof and passed the vehicle back to the LA area for final sales.

Believe you will find that this is as "factory" as they get since Ford didn't do sunroofs but farmed that part of the assembly out. All the 71 Cougars with factory sunroofs (70's also as well as possibly other years and car models) were shipped out to the same company.  Ford didn't do those in house either.

1970 Cougar with "factory" sunroof example

That is not a "bill of sale" but instead a shipping invoice (have them for a fair number of my cars) showing the car being shipped to the company for the sun roof installation - just like the Boss 429's shipping invoices show them being shipped to Kar Kraft for "conversion" or completion.

Of course cars like these would have multiple shipping invoices showing from Ford to another location, back to Ford and or to another region or location.  (Sorry for getting off thread a little) Just a few examples of where the cars could be going to on the shipping invoices. First example is of a 70 Boss 429 as mentioned above.

Jeff Speegle