Author Topic: Finish/color of 1973 fender, fender apron bolts, etc. ???  (Read 2318 times)

Offline GoldGlow73Mach

Finish/color of 1973 fender, fender apron bolts, etc. ???
« on: April 07, 2012, 02:56:28 PM »
I'd like to know once and for all: what is the finish (the actual shade or color for the non-scientist who doesn't understand zinc and other properties) on the bolts for the 1973 Mustang fender tops, fender aprons (front and behind shock towers), radiator support "U" brackets, etc. Please help!

Offline jwc66k

Re: Finish/color of 1973 fender, fender apron bolts, etc. ???
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 05:18:59 PM »
There are several different hardware finishes used on your car, zinc dichromate (-S36) which is also known as "gold" zinc used on fenders and most of the other underhood fasteners, phosphate and oil (-S2) which can vary from gray to black and clear zinc (-S8) which looks silver like a shiny dime although it is not used extensively in 1973. For specific finish applications, get a copy of the "1973 Mustang Body Assembly Manual" available from most Mustang parts suppliers. The hardware dimensions as covered in "AMK Products Guide to Ford Fasteners 1955-73". With the manuals you can ask specific questions with a reference which can be affirmed or refuted as being accurate.
Jim   
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline GoldGlow73Mach

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 07:00:50 PM »
Jim, thanks for taking the time to reply. Right now, I am doing a minimum engine compartment touch-up restoration and I am only addressing the 3 bolt areas: the top fender bolts (where the rubber hood bumpers are); fender apron bolts (3 in front of and 3 behind each shock tower) and the single bolts for the "U" shaped top radiator brackets. I know that in 71, the radiator bracket bolts were "silver". Were they the goldish color in 73? Would it be correct to buy the zinc dichromate "goldish" bolts from, say, NPD and install them?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 07:02:49 PM by GoldGlow73Mach »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 02:20:00 AM »
Jim, thanks for taking the time to reply. Right now, I am doing a minimum engine compartment touch-up restoration and I am only addressing the 3 bolt areas: the top fender bolts (where the rubber hood bumpers are); fender apron bolts (3 in front of and 3 behind each shock tower) and the single bolts for the "U" shaped top radiator brackets. I know that in 71, the radiator bracket bolts were "silver". Were they the goldish color in 73?

Not sure about all 71's being silver - my December car used gold for many of the bolts - remember the dichromate is only a die added over the zinc so it doesn't hold up well to the elements and will fade/disappear on the surface with ease some times

Here are some original 73 examples to help

Doesn't look like the radiator retainer bolts were zinc dichromate

Would it be correct to buy the zinc dichromate "goldish" bolts from, say, NPD and install them?

The head markings might be different from original - you might find some originals and just have those plated or choice the replacements and later do them right ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline GoldGlow73Mach

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 03:55:00 AM »
Jeff, you rock! Thanks for the pics. Finally I have something to go on. Actually, the NPD bolts have the same "N" on the head, just as the originals do.