Author Topic: Where to begin?  (Read 2826 times)

Offline William-Fischer

Where to begin?
« on: August 14, 2012, 06:15:36 PM »
After 20 years of lusting and dreaming I have finally gotten my 66.
Late April build at Dearborn.

For now she is my daily driver but I hope to eventually show as a concurs driven vehicle.

My first question is where do I start? now that I have a plan for the car, what resources should I keep on hand to do my home work before making any more mistakes?
Year:    6    1966 (April 28)
Plant:    F    Dearborn, MI
Body Series:    07    2 Door Hardtop
Engine:    C    289 2v V8
Body:    65B    2 Door HardtopColor:    M    Wimbledon White
Trim:    67    Lt. Aqua & White Crinkle Vinyl, Pony Interior    
D.S.O:    65 OKC
Axle:    6   2.80:1, Conventional
Trans:    6    C4 Automatic

Offline jwc66k

Re: Where to begin?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 07:05:03 PM »
Welcome to the forum. A good starting point is to collect some literature, the how to stuff. Mine are all old and most likely out of print but one stands out - "How To Restore Your Mustang" by Larry Dobbs. Also get a few Mustang store parts catalogs - National Parts Depot http://www.npdlink.com/ Virginia Classic http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/
Mustangs Unlimited http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ are few that come to mind. There are others. Depending on where you are, find a local Mustang Club and attend some meetings. If you get a good feeling, join them. Usually they are a good support group.
A starting point is to make sure everything current is in good working order, in other words brakes, wheel bearings, shocks, engine tuned etc. Don't be afraid to take something apart, just make sure you know how to put it back together. A shop manual is a good choice for that. When you have a few brused knuckles and some cuts that are slowly healing, get a set of Mustang Assembly Manuals for 1966. They are what the factory used to set up the assembly lines and are 80 to 90 percent accurate. They are certainly better than nothing. Don't make a budget, you will only be dissapointed and frustrated. Make a list of goals, rebuild engine, rebuild transmission, do interior, replace suspension, paint, etc. And don't bite off more than you can chew. This is a several year part-time project.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline William-Fischer

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 07:25:36 PM »
Thanks for the tips. I already have more ideas than money lol
fortunately the wife supports this project so that's half the battle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 07:47:56 PM »
Yes welcome to the site.

For starts - your basically at the research stage of the project where you need to get comfortable IMHO with the task before you, where the hobby and expectations are going (don't want to aim where there are today but instead where they will be when your done:)  and start collecting information and parts.

Its apparent a number of parts have been changed so unless you kept the original pieces now is the time to start searching for the right pieces.

Start exploring your car for what has been changed from when it was delivered and start developing list of what you have - along with pictures.

Start reading the post here about other peoples restorations and their challenges and solutions. Learn from their trials and achievements especially from those with similar cars.

Its a long road but a rewarding one for many. Easy? No but allot easier than it has been in the past given all the support an help that is currently available.

Good luck and again - welcome
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 12:01:16 AM »
Welcome and congratulations !!

I don't think you can go wrong with a car like this.  It looks solid and driving now!  I would get a feel for what your likes and dislikes are (as for mods/need to be correct) as well as how you and your wife respond to other's comments when looking at your car !   

1) Were the changes like the Sandon Compressor and Holley made for drive-ability or because the prior owner didn't put the time and money into finding "correct" items?
1A) Is the AC working and working with 134A and modern lines (and you live in the bad area of USA for R-12) and rather not mess with it
1B) Does the car run GREAT and is in perfect tune or is the carb too big/distributor just an excuse for not knowing points

Like Jeff said - see what is wrong and what you can change for the "look" you want!   

2) Correct hoses and clamps might be the first "fun" thing you can do together.
2A) There may not be a thing wrong with the carb - BUT would a stock air cleaner be the look you want?

Mark
P.S.  Don't buy valve cover bolts to replace those Cal Custom chrome ones !   I (we) all can send you a set for free !!
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline William-Fischer

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 09:07:13 AM »
The car drives pretty well. My wife and I went back and forth on the restomod vs original and decided to go original.

It is my understanding that the original compressor locked up and that's why the sanden was put on. It works but there are a few leaks in the suction and discharge line so I figured if going original I might as well start with the ac. Living in texas makes ac mandatory.

before we'd decided too go original, I let a friend talk me into swapping the original intake, carb and distributor (hence my comment about more mistakes) this was under the guise of improved drivability. I still have the distributor but sally the intake and carb were mistaken for scrap at my shop and were carted off before I could I clean and store them.

I think we want to go as close to original as possible so when the distributor is rebuilt and re installed we will stay looking at the air cleaner next.

priceless

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 09:43:57 AM »
I see it has a vinyl top.  I'm just going to throw this out there, I would do a close visual inspection around the corners,leading edges and the perimeter to make sure there were no hidden rust/rot underneath the vinyl,,,,,,Just a thought.

Offline William-Fischer

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 09:35:31 AM »
So far from what I've seen the top and roof are in decent shape. There is a small tear in the top that has been filed with epoxy. I haven't seen  signs of any thing more than a hint of minor surface rust on the drip rails. However when the car was ” restored” in the early 80s, the edges of the top were sealed with caulk in the drip rails.

I was told there is supposed to be some kind of metal trim that goes on top of the rail and rivets to another piece on the underside, but I can't seen to locate them anywhere. What are they called?