Author Topic: Hood - GT350 repro or genuine and underside paint finish?  (Read 1698 times)

Offline silverfox

Hood - GT350 repro or genuine and underside paint finish?
« on: July 14, 2013, 07:12:16 PM »
Hi everyone,

Whilst the K code engine is out for assessment, I've taken the opportunity to look at some of my other parts on my GT350 clone to help ID if repro or genuine.

I have listed below the only details i can find on the hood  - stamping in two places is 12 17 W3

I have been on mustangTek but still can't work out if repro or not and was hoping if you guys can tell me what I have.

Whilst here can anyone enlighten me as to painting it and what colours should be on the underside??
Thanks
Chris

Current Mustangs:
1965 Fastback 289 K Code - Hi-Po - Caspian Blue

1970 Mach 1 Sportsroof 351C Auto - White - Project car and in Resto (started Sept 2012)

Past Mustangs:
1966 Fastback GT350 clone, Hi-Po 289, 4 Spd Man, White/Blue

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Hood - GT350 repro or genuine and underside paint finish?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 08:34:03 PM »
The numbers and letters are the stamping date and plant  (Dec 17th in your case)

Should be painted with a low gloss black first.  Then the exterior color is added and overspray allowed along the edge (not tapped off) and at the scoop opening

Did notice that the hood (under structure) appears to have been altered/cut/modified near the front of the scoop area

Don't follow the finish on this example ;) shown for the understructure only

« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 08:45:51 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline silverfox

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 02:13:33 PM »
Jeff, many thanks for this and note your comments around cut-out.

I hadn't spotted this until you had pointed it out. Can I only assume was for a carb and/or air cleaner that may have been fitted in the past?

Chris

P.S The car originated from San Jose (A code FB)  but at some point had various Shelby parts added in the 70's - did the hoods originally all come with GT350's from the San Jose plant or where they added @ SAI?? ?
Current Mustangs:

1970 Mach 1 Sportsroof 351C Auto - White - Project car and in Resto (started Sept 2012)

Past Mustangs:

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 03:30:38 PM »
Jeff, many thanks for this and note your comments around cut-out.

I hadn't spotted this until you had pointed it out. Can I only assume was for a carb and/or air cleaner that may have been fitted in the past?

Chris

P.S The car originated from San Jose (A code FB)  but at some point had various Shelby parts added in the 70's - did the hoods originally all come with GT350's from the San Jose plant or where they added @ SAI?? ?
Added at SA .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline silverfox

Current Mustangs:

Past Mustangs: