Author Topic: 1965 rally pac  (Read 4926 times)

Offline rodster

1965 rally pac
« on: August 17, 2010, 01:49:35 AM »
I notice a mark around my steering column that could indicate there was a rally pac installed at one time. Is there any way to look at the wiring under the dash to tell if it was factory installed?

From what I've researched, the 65 should have a low profile but I could not find a definitive answer as to whether it would have been black or color matched to the interior.

Also, the rally pac was not included with the GT option or the pony interior option correct?

Thanks...

« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 09:36:20 AM by rodster »
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 1965 rally pac
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 01:57:27 AM »
Rally-pac's were standalone factory or dealer options and not grouped with any other option.

The behind-the-dash harness for a rally-pac is just an auxiliary harness that plugs into the main harness.  So, even the presence wouldn't necessarily confirm your car had a rally-pac when new.  Although, if the wiring was original FoMoCo and appeared to be un-tampered, the probability would be higher.

Since these were commonly dealer-installed, we see variants in the types of interiors.  Generally, the high-profile style rally-pac was used with the falcon-style instrument cluster and was always (supposed to be) black crinkle finish.  The low-profile was most typically used with the 5 dial instrument cluster, found on GT standard interior or deluxe interior cars (that were GT's too.)  The low-profile could be color-coordinated to the steering column color or simply black.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline steve_f

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 02:23:49 AM »
Charles,

Was the plain bridge high profile Ford rally pac always dealer installed or was it ever used at the factory, May 15, 1965 San Jose in particular?  I assumed that since mine was not the Mustang labeled one that it wasn't factory.

Steve
Steve
1965 (15S) San Jose Mustang GT Fastback (sold)

Offline rodster

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 02:29:45 AM »
Thanks for all of the info Charles.  I'll take a look around under the dash and see if I can find an auxiliary harness.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 02:50:44 AM by rodster »
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 09:51:05 AM »
Was the plain bridge high profile Ford rally pac always dealer installed or was it ever used at the factory, May 15, 1965 San Jose in particular?  I assumed that since mine was not the Mustang labeled one that it wasn't factory.

I guess you're referring to the version that does not have 'RALLY - PAC' in the middle?  If so, I have never been able to find any concrete evidence one way or the other.  It is generally accepted that the factory-installed one had 'RALLY - PAC' and dealer-installed was blank with 'FORD' on the tach.  Although, both varieties were sold through Ford parts counters.

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 11:24:52 AM »
You might look for the little hole for the sheet metal screw that retains the bottom of the wiring harness cover, way down towards the bottom of the dash near the column, as another clue that it might have had a Rally Pac installed.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 11:29:03 AM »
You might look for the little hole for the sheet metal screw that retains the bottom of the wiring harness cover, way down towards the bottom of the dash near the column, as another clue that it might have had a Rally Pac installed.

Yes, for the low profile, only.

Offline steve_f

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 08:14:58 PM »
I guess you're referring to the version that does not have 'RALLY - PAC' in the middle?  If so, I have never been able to find any concrete evidence one way or the other.  It is generally accepted that the factory-installed one had 'RALLY - PAC' and dealer-installed was blank with 'FORD' on the tach.  Although, both varieties were sold through Ford parts counters.

Thanks Charles.  Yes the blank bridge with FORD on the tach is the one I have.  Would I have to remove it then for a concours restoration?  How many points would I lose if I kept it on?

Steve
Steve
1965 (15S) San Jose Mustang GT Fastback (sold)

Offline rodster

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »

Could this be the hole you are talking about?  Never noticed it until you mentioned it!  ;)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 01:06:31 PM by rodster »
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline rodster

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 10:57:25 PM »

Here's what first gave me a clue a rally pac might have been installed at one time. Funny how you can look at a car for hours and still not notice some things. My eye is becoming more trained tho'!  ;D

Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 05:47:34 AM »
Could this be the hole you are talking about?  Never noticed it until you mentioned it!  ;)

Yes, that's the hole location I was talking about, but I think Charles is saying a '65 would not have this?  I am not very familiar with '65 Rally Pacs; mine is a '66.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 08:55:43 AM »
Yes, that's the hole location I was talking about, but I think Charles is saying a '65 would not have this?

The high-profile design (used with the '65-style Falcon speedometer) wouldn't have had the metal wiring gutter.  On these rally pacs, the wiring just feeds down below the dash.  The metal wiring gutter was only used with the low-profile rally pac (used with the 5-gauge speedometer).  Thus, only a low-profile rally pac would've had a screw in the bottom of the dash.
Too much junk, too little time.