Author Topic: Wind Shield Black out Paint - 69 Dearborn  (Read 3316 times)

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
Wind Shield Black out Paint - 69 Dearborn
« on: July 03, 2014, 03:56:18 PM »
Need a clarification on the black out at a couple areas on my 69 Dearborn car.  The body assembly manual shows blackout around the inside opening of the windshield and the top most part of the cowl (area just in front the dash).  The original photos show this area body color but i know the car had been repainted twice.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 08:04:17 PM by J_Speegle »
69 Sports Roof 302 2V (numbers matching)
Dearborn (June build date) Acapulco Blue
68 Coupe J-Code
San Jose (June build date) Sea Foam Green
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Wind Shield Black out Paint
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 08:04:00 PM »
Need a clarification on the black out at a couple areas on my 69 Dearborn car.  The body assembly manual shows blackout around the inside opening of the windshield and the top most part of the cowl (area just in front the dash).  The original photos show this area body color but i know the car had been repainted twice.

What time period at Dearborn in 69?  Believe this was connected or could be included/confused with the top of the cowl black out and want to be sure we focus on what is related to your car ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: Wind Shield Black out Paint - 69 Dearborn
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 01:28:57 PM »
June 10th build date.  I'm referencing page N9-100 note #2 (black out paint at windshield opening) in the Osborn assembly manual.  Also wondering about note #3 black out at inboard area of front fender extension.  The blackout on the top of the cowl, note #5 calls out to be used for cars with blacked out hoods.  Not sure if this page just refers to the Mach I or also includes the basic sportsroof which I have.

Thanks!
68 Coupe J-Code
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 02:29:26 PM »
I always black this area out on a 69/70 regardless if it had it or not.  I have seen some without and some with it.  I think it looks terrible if it shows color and you can see it between the glass and the molding is not covering it.  Just my opinion.  Same thing for the kick panel area and the top of the cowl where the dash pad does not completing cover.

MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 11:15:37 PM »
I always black this area out on a 69/70 regardless if it had it or not.  I have seen some without and some with it.  I think it looks terrible if it shows color and you can see it between the glass and the molding is not covering it.  Just my opinion.  Same thing for the kick panel area and the top of the cowl where the dash pad does not completing cover.

+1  Agree for looks I hate when you get the car assembled and some (especially those bright colors) peek out from around the defroster ducts, behind the kick panels or around the A pillar covers
Jeff Speegle

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 02:48:38 PM »
Thanks for the photos input guys.  I didn't take good enough pictures of the A-pillars to see if the black out was there.  I do have good photos of the inner cowl and there was no black out.  I think I will black these areas to avoid any colored areas showing up.

Thank you!
68 Coupe J-Code
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 05:13:34 PM »
Thanks for the photos input guys.  I didn't take good enough pictures of the A-pillars to see if the black out was there.  I do have good photos of the inner cowl and there was no black out.  I think I will black these areas to avoid any colored areas showing up.

By June 69 at Dearborn they were typically painting the top of the cowl with the engine black. On some of these later cars I've seen just extending that coverage into the windshield opening on most that I see from that year/plant or taping/mask that stopped the black just short of the defroster ducts. At least with the masked/tapped off edge it keeps the exterior color from peeping through between the dash pad and bottom of windshield

Not often great coverage  when black was applied in that area (even the body color is often thin) which can be cleaned away with ease

Example with lip masked off from the black paint

Example with area blacked out

What can happen

Jeff Speegle

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 06:29:04 PM »
Thanks for the additional photos Jeff.  The first two show the area in question, this is the area I didn't document well enough.  I see what you guys are saying about the bright colors and the areas where they may show thru. I wonder with the dark blue dash pad and kick panels if have if they skipped the black out on the interior.  As I said in my earlier post that I had good pictures of that area and it was body color transitioning into primer.

68 Coupe J-Code
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 10:19:37 PM »
........I wonder with the dark blue dash pad and kick panels if have if they skipped the black out on the interior.  .........

Don't think the exterior color changes anything. If it was suppose to then it would be the exterior color that would come into play I would thin

Jeff Speegle