Author Topic: Seat track mounting plates  (Read 8737 times)

Offline macdude67

Seat track mounting plates
« on: April 05, 2010, 07:34:31 PM »
I am trying to figure out the correct finish of my june 64 mustangseat track mounting plates. They are plated and the plating appears to be a gold reddish in color. Much like what you would see on a carb but slightly darker.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Seat track mounting plates
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 10:51:31 PM »
To be honest, I don't know what the original spec is.  I would guess some kind of zinc with coloring.  Maybe "bronze" zinc, if there is such a thing?!  I've played around with rattle cans in the past to get something that looks close.  If you have a local electroplating shop, they might be able to help.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 66GTCoupe

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 07:09:11 PM »
Hey I am trying to determine the color of the seat track plates, they look like a very dark gold cad plating any idea what it is?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 07:17:24 PM by 66GTCoupe »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 10:28:40 PM »
There were some variances in the tone of these.  Most I have found had that brownish/bronze tint to them.  Not sure what plating that would correlate to.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 11:22:03 PM »
Had some tested once and the results came back as phosphate though I agree that there are a number of color/tint variations. Possibly a result of the conditions the car has been through  or different suppliers
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 66GTCoupe

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 09:56:48 PM »
thanks guys do you know of anyone that does this kind of plating

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 09:53:53 AM »
thanks guys do you know of anyone that does this kind of plating

Nothing comes to mind, but if the original plating on those bronze color ones was confirmed, it probably is something common.  It might be something as simple as zinc plating with a brightener/color.

Offline macdude67

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 08:08:56 PM »
I posted about this same question some months ago. My plates had a slightly redder cast to them. Strangely enough I found the same platting on my 64.5 coupe rear side window regulators. The steel cap that is riveted in place and physically holds the input shaft to the regulator was plated in the same manner as the seat tracks. Without finding any info on the platting used I was reluctant to paint them black.

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 11:43:20 PM »
What color are the seat track plates supposed to be?
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 01:02:49 AM »
They are a dark brown/black with some bronze speckling.  Some lighter than others.  Have no clue what the original plating was.  Some kind of zinc with dye?

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 12:42:42 PM »
Just seeing if they are supposed to be painted or not...I took my passenger seat out for preperation to remove the heater core and they are just bare metal with some rust on them...Didn't know if they should be painted or just soak them in evaporust and leave the finish that comes out...I don't think in the years we have owned the car that we have ever taken the seat out...
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 10:36:45 PM »
They were definitely not painted.  Yep, soak them in evaporust and coat them afterwards.

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 10:19:20 AM »
Has anyone found any new info on the finish for these plates?  I'm ready to do something with mine--they are definitely a dark copper/bronze sort of finish.  Some are real dark, almost black actually, while others are more of a copper color.  I found a rattle can that is nearly identical in color to at least half of my plates but was hoping to plate them.
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 04:41:20 PM »
Has anyone found any new info on the finish for these plates?  I'm ready to do something with mine--they are definitely a dark copper/bronze sort of finish.  Some are real dark, almost black actually, while others are more of a copper color.  I found a rattle can that is nearly identical in color to at least half of my plates but was hoping to plate them.

Sorry never had the bronze finish analyzed (had a friend with access to a electron spectroscope or something like that that use to tell us what the outer covers were on parts like this) The bottom line (considering its a restoration) is how to reproduce the look rather than what was originally used. Finishes often change through the years (galvanized comes to mind :( and todays may not look the same as it did in years gone by

Just a thought

Yes have seen both the phosphate short ones, the black ones and the bronze ones depending on application and plant
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 08:34:20 PM »
Good point Jeff.

I found a rattle can that is a 98% match for the darker version of whatever this coating is.  So for now, unless I learn something new, I'll stick with that... :P
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:05:24 PM by Skyway65 »
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"