Author Topic: Heavy duty export suspension  (Read 659 times)

Offline Danymichy

• '70 Dearborn 250 1V
Heavy duty export suspension
« on: November 15, 2023, 04:28:34 PM »
Hi everyone, I finished the restoration of my '70 Sportsroof 250, I tried to do it as best as possible with your advice but now I have a doubt.... Reading Marti's report, mine was born with "Heavy Duty Export Suspension" my question is: how do you recognize these supports? Do leaf springs have 4 or 5 leaves? Are they currently available for purchase?

Offline ExportMach

Re: Heavy duty export suspension
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2023, 09:33:47 PM »
My 1970 Mach 1 T5 (351C, 3 speed manual trans) has the Heavy Duty Export suspension as well. From what Ive been able to learn that option merely entails 'higher rate springs and heavier duty shocks'. Do you have the build sheet for your Sportsroof? The MPC will show you what number of leaves and color of the stripes. I can look through my documentation and see if I can find an answer for you.
Mark C
Ford T5 registrar www.FordT5.com
MCA certified judge - '69-'70 concours
1970 Mach 1 T-5; bucked Mar 1970
0F05H172XXX; 63C, 6, 3A, 91, 6, 1

Offline Danymichy

• '70 Dearborn 250 1V
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2023, 03:35:09 PM »
Thanks, sorry for the stupid question but what is MPC?

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2023, 05:55:51 PM »
master parts catalog.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2023, 06:06:14 PM »
Hi everyone, I finished the restoration of my '70 Sportsroof 250, I tried to do it as best as possible with your advice but now I have a doubt.... Reading Marti's report, mine was born with "Heavy Duty Export Suspension" my question is: how do you recognize these supports? Do leaf springs have 4 or 5 leaves? Are they currently available for purchase?

You would likely identify the rear springs at least by the engineering numbers stamped in the short leaf of the spring assembly. Start there unless they have been replaced. Front springs identification especially after being used for so long, since it would require measuring things like resting height and coil thickness.

Replacement for the rear are not available if your looking for ones marked or likely with the same specifications.  Best I think you can do if your looking for new is something close that will not , hopefully make the car sit oddly when completed. Original rear springs if not pitted allot could be rearched.

Have only seen one 70 export with its original shocks still with the car.

As for MPC. They can be unreliable since the often list was parts or replacement parts were available in the system at the time they were printed not always the original parts that came on the car.  Buildsheet would be really good to have if there is one remaining in the car. Guessing that this is a Metuchen built car but not always with a 70 export car.  Just a guess. If so check the main wireloom behind the gauge cluster
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 06:12:17 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Danymichy

• '70 Dearborn 250 1V
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2023, 04:10:14 AM »
Thanks for your response. It currently has leaf springs lowered by 1" and "I think" standard springs at the front because it is lower at the rear.
From other photos I see that the sill is parallel to the ground or slightly high at the back, correct?
I found for sale on CJ some 5-sheet crossbows with original height defined as "heavy duty". I think they may be the most similar to mine, even if they don't have colored stripes like the originals, for me it's already sufficient.
Here in Italy there is no interest in doing auto concourse, it's me who for personal pleasure wants to reproduce the original as faithfully as possible. As soon as I download the photos onto the PC, if you are interested, I will publish some photos of my work.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2023, 06:46:58 PM »
Thanks for your response. It currently has leaf springs lowered by 1" and "I think" standard springs at the front because it is lower at the rear.
From other photos I see that the sill is parallel to the ground or slightly high at the back, correct?
I found for sale on CJ some 5-sheet crossbows with original height defined as "heavy duty". I think they may be the most similar to mine, even if they don't have colored stripes like the originals, for me it's already sufficient.

Five leaf springs would not match what was on the car originally. Would not suggest trusting the description alone. Get the specifications and compare those to the original measurements.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Danymichy

• '70 Dearborn 250 1V
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2023, 06:14:23 PM »
I have no idea where to find the specs for mine.
Where can I find them?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2023, 06:40:08 PM »
First start.

- Do you have a copy of the cars buildsheet of one from a similar car (same options-suspension) as yours?

Not sure if I have any export buildsheets for 69 but will check
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2023, 06:23:25 PM »
Looked at a MPC from the 70 production period and as expected they do not call out the export package specifications as for springs. Not that many build so guess no reason to take up print and space. They do show the standard applications for Mustangs with the 250 six cylinder. A different spring for each body type. Ford may have just used the nest higher  rating or the upper most for the six cylinder since the fastback was the lowest

Body Style         Markings on spring        Rated
63                     C9ZA-R                         595#
65                     D0ZA-A or B                  625#
76                     D0ZA-C                         665# 
Jeff Speegle