Author Topic: Vinyl top or not  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Nightmist66gt

Vinyl top or not
« on: August 31, 2014, 09:55:55 PM »
Hi guys, 

I m new on this forum so my question is I have a 66 gt that miss the buck tag so I dont know without the help of marti report how to check if its originally without vinyl top or not? Anyone know how?

Thanks

Dave

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Vinyl top or not
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 10:01:06 PM »
marti reports are only available for 67 & up cars. what plant was your car built at? what is the build date? it is a good idea to include that info in each post or your signature to assist with correct answers. if your car did indeed have a vinyl top there are definate telltale signs. look in the driprails for rivet holes. at the bottom of the 'b' pillar there would also be a moulding. those holes could have been filled in but you can peel back the headliner in that area and confirm.
5F09C331248

Offline Nightmist66gt

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 11:22:42 PM »
Ok thanks for fast reply, I know for the marti report availability so that what i mean "without help of it" I ll check under the headliner , i hope ill see something that help me cause the quarter has been changed so for now the car is a summer daily driver but i want to make a rotisserie resto most concours correct that i can with that i have and next time i ll tell the plant and date of my car

Really appreciate the forum :)

Offline Nightmist66gt

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 04:18:54 AM »
I m sorry to restart this thread but today I had removed the interior quarter trim and look at the interior of the quarter/roof seem and I cant see if that was on all 66 mustang or if its a vinyl top hole filled?the car doesnt have any kind of center hole for molding but this two groove ?anybody have a pic of this area on non vinil top car? Here is what im taking about

Thanks

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 06:08:53 AM »
Ok thanks for fast reply, I know for the marti report availability so that what i mean "without help of it" I ll check under the headliner , i hope ill see something that help me cause the quarter has been changed so for now the car is a summer daily driver but i want to make a rotisserie resto most concours correct that i can with that i have and next time i ll tell the plant and date of my car

Really appreciate the forum :)

Both quarter panels were changed? Is it possible the quarter panels were changed high enough to cover these holes over? Have you be begun the restoration and stripped the paint off and located where and how the quarter panels have been replaced?

I am no expert on the 66 Mustang per say, but what I see in your pictures do not clearly indicate one way or the other but in my opinion, (and it is only an opinion) the holes I see inside under the headliner seem to indicate the car used to have a vinyl roof. Also (in my opinion) if the quarters were changed higher than those holes, the holes were covered over with the new quarter panels since I see metal behind the holes. To the contrary, if evidence suggests the quarter panels were replaced BELOW these holes, then I would think the car did not come with the vinyl top. I believe the answer is in stripping down the exterior finishes and locating all previous work. Just an opinion based on your images.

Richard
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 06:15:39 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Nightmist66gt

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 10:01:53 AM »
yep both quarter panel had been changed(really bad job) but fortunately it dont disturbe the original underside trunk measure, it was overlaped over the original one and not higher than the seem (quarter panel skin not full)and I only have 2 notch on the structure metal and should be 3 if its originaly have the vinyl top molding? does all quarter chrome molding have 3 bolting stud on? I drove the car now and I just want to start the restoration next year so I dont know about the outside if its the original lead seem or other stuff to fill the hole