Author Topic: BUYER BEWARE CAE Alternator and Starter in Van Nuys CA  (Read 2785 times)

Offline Crgjohnson

BUYER BEWARE CAE Alternator and Starter in Van Nuys CA
« on: August 07, 2015, 09:01:42 PM »
Recently sent an original 1970 B2 55Amp alternator with the original pulley and fan to be restored/replated to CAE Alternator and Starter located in Van  Nuys CA.  When I received the "restored" alternator back it had a totally different pulley and fan both of which were painted black. When I contacted CAE I was told that maybe the tech had mixed up the orders and they would send out the correct parts. When the replacement parts arrived they were once again the incorrect parts and not the originals I had sent. Contacting CAE, this time sending pictures of the alternator I sent , I was told there was a correct pulley on Ebay and they would buy that unit and send it to me. The so called replacement was a reproduction and not the correct pulley for my application. At this point I called and asked to have my original parts returned in any conditions. They informed me that the pulley I sent was a $12.00 part and they would refund $40.00 for the pulley and fan. The alternator I sent to them was off a documented 32K 1970 B2 and was the real deal.  At this point my options are limited. My original parts I believe are gone and the only thing left to do is put the word out about doing business with CAE. They also sell heavily on Ebay with the screen name BNR Parts Alternators and Starters

BUYERS BEWARE
70 BOSS 302(Dearborn 10/69) Medium Blue Metallic, CA emissions
70 BOSS 302(Dearborn 10/69) Calypso Coral, CA emissions
09 Shelby GT 500, factory stripe delete

MCA 69-71 concours BOSS gold card judge
Mustang restorer (hobby)
69 Cougar 3/69

Offline tobkob

Re: BUYER BEWARE CAE Alternator and Starter in Van Nuys CA
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 10:59:45 PM »
Next time send them to Jack Brooks at Dead Nuts On. Straight up guy and great service.

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 12:29:51 PM »
  Really sorry you had to learn this lesson the hard way.  I know you have gotten a lot of ' advice ' on what you should have done but thanks for sharing your experience.   CAE in Van Nuys is not the place to go.  Thanks, Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 12:47:34 PM »
Not having an original core, I bought from CAE and all came out OK for my alternator. I bought because their pricing is "budget-minded".  Their prices were fair enough for my needs. He also made good on exchanging an incorrect pulley it arrived with, and exchanged it at no extra charge. He never asked me for the wrong one back, but I sent it to him anyways because IMHO, he went the extra mile for me.

Bottom line is as in any business, there will always be bad experiences for some, while others find little wrong.

This forum seems to sway towards DeadNutsOn, and for very good reasons when it comes to alternators & starters, YOU DO GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.
I compromised my overall alternator purchase by going the cheaper CAE variety. It was a choice I made for today. It will meet my needs for the time being. Maybe, one day I will switch it out for one of Jack's. We'll see. I want to say if I had to send a numbers correct alternator OUT for resoration services, probably no way I would have tried to pinch pennies on that.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 10:42:19 PM »
By the sounds it seems like these guys just exchange and don't pay any attention to what you items are sent to them.
It's a bitter pill to swallow but thanks for notifying your experience.

I'm in the market for an Autolite Starter as I don't have my original, is there anyone else other than CAE that can provide restored starters?
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn