Author Topic: Questions about a car for sale  (Read 3382 times)

Offline preaction

Questions about a car for sale
« on: August 11, 2015, 11:30:48 PM »
Would it be wrong to ask questions about a respected concours car for sale ?
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline Jack65K

Re: Questions about a car for sale
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 12:00:57 AM »
Not wrong to ask questions!  How else do you learn what you need to know??
Jack
65 K Code Coupe, Vintage Burgundy/White Vinyl Top & Black Interior
04 GT Convertible, Redfire Clearcoat/White Top and Oxford White Interior

Offline preaction

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 12:27:17 AM »
The car in question is the 67 390 convertible listed for sale on this site. The oil fill cap closed crank case hose connection seems to be of a different type from what has recently been talked about here, or its very possible I'm missing something.

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 12:40:33 AM »
If you are seriously interested in the car, I would ask away.  As the seller, I would expect questions.
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline preaction

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 01:14:20 AM »
Hi Mark, I am still in the learning phase of the top  level concours restored cars such as yours and for me learning is the first step at this point of my journey. Being new to this site my first attempt at asking about your car was one of political correctness,  because I'm confident my concern will be quickly explained away by either time or place of assembly.  I like your car very much and wish you the best of luck in your sale, Paul.

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 01:23:20 AM »
Oops.  I'm sorry I misled you.  I'm not the seller of the car in question.  Just trying to let you know that a seller of a car should expect questions and if they are not interested in taking and answering your questions then move on.

Edit: If you see something regarding the car that you have a question about then I would not hesitate to post that question on this forum.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 01:26:42 AM by markb0729 »
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 05:24:46 AM »
The car in question is the 67 390 convertible listed for sale on this site. The oil fill cap closed crank case hose connection seems to be of a different type from what has recently been talked about here, or its very possible I'm missing something.

As mentioned there are a number of things that passed inspection on the car given when it was shown (happens to almost every show winner as the rules change and  expectations increase)

I can see a number of things in each picture posted though everything looks quick and easy - don't think the owner posted the car as a perfect example of a concours show car today. - Still a very nice car in any case

Not to say this it is the case in this example but often the people who built the car know more than the current owners about choices and why they were made ;)

And yes I would change/suggest that the breather cap  be changed if it was being shown in 2015  :) Believe the engine didn't come with that cap when the restoration was started
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 05:29:01 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 07:11:26 AM »

if that is a FoMoCo chromed breather with the 90' elbow, I have been looking for one if anyone has one, maybe I should list in parts wanted? Pm me if you have one
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline pagoda69

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 12:44:28 AM »
I am the current owner of the Springtime Yellow GTA in question. Jeff is absolutely correct on a number of fronts. Firstly, those who restored and judged this GTA know a lot more about this car and concours judging than I ever will. Secondly, as concours judging evolves, what may have been correct ten years ago may not be correct today. Thirdly, any items or changes this car may need in order to get a gold in 2015 should be very easy to attain. This GTA, from what I was told by those who knew the car's history, was an excellent CA car to begin with. The restoration was and still remains truly impressive.

Finally, I am more than happy to answer any questions regarding my GTA. May not have the correct  answers though!  :)

Offline pagoda69

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 02:30:42 PM »
I am thinking about correcting those minor items that Jeff highlighted in order to bring this 67 GTA up to 2015 Concours Judging standards. Does someone have an actual picture from a Ford assembly manual showing the correct breather cap with the straight nipple (rather than the 90 degree nipple)? The only diagram for V8's that I saw shows the 90 degree nipple. Maybe that was for 289's and not 390's?????

Thanks,
John

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 04:31:10 PM »
I am thinking about correcting those minor items that Jeff highlighted in order to bring this 67 GTA up to 2015 Concours Judging standards. Does someone have an actual picture from a Ford assembly manual showing the correct breather cap with the straight nipple (rather than the 90 degree nipple)? The only diagram for V8's that I saw shows the 90 degree nipple. Maybe that was for 289's and not 390's?????

IMHO don't trust the assembly manuals by their self - too many examples where they don't reflect what was really done on the line and at different plants. With a search you will find a discussion on the 67 390 breather caps that should help.  Plenty of these have been replaced with the elbow style over the years and especially on restored cars
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)