Author Topic: Protecting paint during assembly  (Read 2172 times)

Offline AJ

Protecting paint during assembly
« on: April 02, 2023, 10:23:39 AM »
Looking for tips/products/suggestions for temporary paint protection during assembly.   Wondering about various clear films products including indoor carpet protection film but leery of unknown adhesives on fresh paint.   Currently using bath towels and blue tape. 
Adrian Jacobs
70 Boss 302  Dearborn, 11/22/69, original calypso paint,  original family ownership.
70 GT500 , 02/26/69, a/c auto, candy red

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Protecting paint during assembly
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 11:03:03 PM »
Gaffers/cloth tape does well protecting paint.

Carpet should be one of the last things to go in the car at the end of assembly, there is no need to lay it in the car until it's time to install the seats.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline hopey

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 11:11:14 PM »
I haveused the blue floor protection film on my fenders and inside the engine bay when installing the engine, and any time I am leaning over the engine bay detailing. No issues with it. If your paint is cured you should be good. I have also got some of those microfiber fender covers with magnets in corner pockets, they are useful as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078K1VLC7

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LCEVJGM
1970 BOSS 302
Built 11/15/69 Dearborn

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2023, 11:51:47 AM »
I'm using micro fiber/ fleece type blankets.
Search for those words in Amazon or similar site.
I use binder clips to hold them to the window lip or other opening.
I cover the roof, hood and trunk areas.

On other areas that have been cured longer I use a non adhesive thin plastic film. Mostly doors since it goes into the window area easily. You can use this on fresher paint but you need to remove it immediately when done working. I just flip it to the inside on the car after a days work.

When working inside I use blue tape on the edges of door openings. I also ditch my heavy duty shoes for slip-ons.

Add pic
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 02:27:11 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2023, 01:25:55 PM »
Depending on how fresh the paint is, I would be concerned with trapping the off-gasses (if that is the correct term to describe the paint curing process).

I painted a friends car in acrylic enamel, candy apple red. A day or so later, I covered the car with a clear thin polyethylene sheet so I could paint the engine compartment. When done, I removed the sheet and the candle apple red paint on the flat horizontal surfaces had an awful snake-skin random pattern to it. Fortunately the pattern cleared up after a few days.
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline Dennis Y

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2023, 01:42:31 PM »
Carpet protection film would be way to sticky!

Offline rodster

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2023, 10:23:52 PM »
My question is how did they do this in the factory cranking out cars as fast as they could?
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2023, 11:04:37 PM »
My question is how did they do this in the factory cranking out cars as fast as they could?

Guess it just because they were professionals. Lots of things amateurs who only do things once in a while turn out as expected while because of experience, practise and good planning things normally turn out much better for the professions. Sure everyone of us can think of examples in our everyday life at our work or elsewhere where we have seen this demonstrated and where if we could do it, it would likely just be luck. 

Plus in this paint example the paint was much better with all the lead and baking it didn't hurt either.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rodster

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2023, 11:21:19 PM »
I agree.  I'm amazed when I see old factory assembly line videos.

There wasn't much protection and they sometimes used brute force to get things to fit.  ;)
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline lightwtjet

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2023, 11:50:17 PM »
When I was fitting the doors and fenders I did not want the head of the fastener to scrape the paint so I made a washer out of the plastic in a chlorox or Tide bottle. Use a hole punch several times to make the center. Once you're finished, remove the plastic washer.
1968 CJ - Owner and paint original. Dec 67 build in Dearborn. One of 50 135 Cobra Jets. Ford engineering used it for 8 mos. to resolve problems in the 50 early car build. Ford by-passed the normal sign off to get cars to the Winternationals drag race.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2023, 12:05:52 AM »
When I was fitting the doors and fenders I did not want the head of the fastener to scrape the paint so I made a washer out of the plastic in a chlorox or Tide bottle. Use a hole punch several times to make the center. Once you're finished, remove the plastic washer.

For a project I had a number of years ago where I wanted to do all heavy work and prep the body for paint before I put it up for sale, I assembled the car using fairly thick nylon washers that I got in sets on Amazon. Way too much trouble to cut each and every one I needed for the whole car. Didn't want to leave any marks on the unibody bit wanted to assemble it so the buyer didn't have to survey a bunch of boxes to make sure what was there.

Didn't choose to keep it (R code San Jose Special paint Mach I) and didn't want to choose the color for the next guy. Yes I know I would have made more money if I had finished the car but that was not the point.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)