Author Topic: Factory A/C Questions, '65 Dearborn convertible  (Read 3400 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Factory A/C Questions, '65 Dearborn convertible
« on: August 13, 2013, 09:26:47 PM »
Hi everyone, I've got what I think is a very old dealer-installed A/C setup on my '65 convertible.  It's a 289 car, built March 30th, 1965, at Dearborn.  My main question is this: while the installation was done entirely with correct Mustang/Ford parts and appears to have been on the car for many years, it still has some dead giveaways that it isn't an assembly-line installation.

The car is currently an extremely nice driver, but I wouldn't want to rule out making it a concours show car eventually.  With this in mind, should I correct the small details of the A/C setup to make it look like a factory/assembly line installation?  I'd like to retain the A/C if possible.

Anyway, here's the issues that are concerning me:

1. Whoever installed the A/C routed the compressor lead wire through the firewall along with one of the A/C hoses.  Shouldn't there be a hole drilled above the engine gauge feed harness for the lead to pass through the firewall?
http://imageshack.com/a/img32/6537/s456.jpg

2. Should the holes in the firewall for the A/C hoses be vertical as pictured here?  I'm used to seeing both hoses routed through the indentation in the firewall.  However, this vertical setup does seem to work well with the hooking the lines up to a '65 evaporator.
http://imageshack.com/a/img153/2153/cbo8.jpg

3. Where should the sight glass hose attach to the shock tower?  On my factory air '66, there were two threaded holes punched into the shock tower, and the sight glass clamped to the lower hole.  However, I'm not seeing a divot or indent for drilling the lower hole on my '65.  Did '65s automatically use the upper location?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 09:32:34 PM by drummingrocks »
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Factory A/C Questions, '65 Dearborn convertible
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 10:32:16 PM »
Best/closest I have to offer at the moment

From 5F07C608464

From 5F07C739612

From 5F07C633535

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rodster

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 01:08:14 AM »
From my 65 Dearborn Coupe, April 19th scheduled build date. 
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 07:13:40 PM »
Guys, any idea if those are those firewall grommets are the same as the ones in the radiator core support?  Also, can either of you confirm where the compressor lead passes through the firewall?

And finally, any idea where I might source that bracket that bolts the hoses to the cowl brace?

Offline rodster

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 12:25:29 AM »
The only question I can answer is where the lead passes through the firewall. I believe the arrow shows the correct location and it can be seen in one of Jeff's pictures too.

I'm thinking the bracket could be made if you can't find a used one? I checked a few Mustang vendors and didn't see anything listed.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 09:54:41 AM »
Thanks, I'm not sure why I didn't notice the compressor lead when I first saw that photo.  That's one question answered.   :)

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 10:03:07 PM »
Rodster, I just thought of another question:  Does your car still have the original compressor and is it a York or Tecumseh?

Offline rodster

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 12:49:11 AM »
I'm guessing by the looks of it and the date code it's the original but can't be 100% sure. It's a Tecumseh.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 08:48:25 PM »
I'm guessing by the looks of it and the date code it's the original but can't be 100% sure. It's a Tecumseh.

Thanks again.  One final question: Does your car have two matched belts on the alternator and water pump, or just a single belt?  I currently have the two sheeve water pump pulley on my '65, but the original was missing when I first bought the car.  The alternator, if original, only has a single belt pulley on it. 

Offline rodster

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 12:55:11 AM »
Is your car non-PS?

Also, a couple of other questions on the engine compartment picture in your first post.

Is the battery tray area original?

I thought the rubber battery cable protector was a 66 thing?
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 01:26:59 PM »
Is your car non-PS?

Also, a couple of other questions on the engine compartment picture in your first post.

Is the battery tray area original?

I thought the rubber battery cable protector was a 66 thing?

The engine-bay picture I posted is off of my maroon '66 fastback.  I just posted that for reference.

The car I'm asking about is a '65 convertible.  It's not a PS car.

Offline rodster

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 10:42:41 PM »
Quote from: drummingrocks link=tpic=6954.msg39556#msg39556 date=1377016019
The engine-bay picture I posted is off of my maroon '66 fastback.  I just posted that for reference.

The car I'm asking about is a '65 convertible.  It's not a PS car.

Oh, you fooled me!  ;)  I asked about the battery tray area being original since it seems different and more wavy than what is left of my 65. Just trying to decide what is 'correct'.

I'm guessing you don't have Bob Mannel's Small Block Ford book?  If you are interested in the small block, it's a MUST  HAVE!  8)  Being a non-PS car with AC, it has a different set up than mine.  Mine has AC and PS.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 10:22:33 PM »
I'm guessing you don't have Bob Mannel's Small Block Ford book?  If you are interested in the small block, it's a MUST  HAVE!  8)  Being a non-PS car with AC, it has a different set up than mine.  Mine has AC and PS.

I didn't even think about looking in Mannel's book.  I had it within sight on my bookshelf, and never thought to pick it up.  According to him, a factory A/C, non PS car would've had the dual sheeve alternator and matched belts.