Author Topic: Decoding and Application of Axle Housing Markings  (Read 2512 times)

Offline GlennG

Decoding and Application of Axle Housing Markings
« on: April 30, 2011, 03:41:14 AM »
Can Jeff (or another knowledgeable person) help me decipher these markings on my '66 Shelby axle housing?  Can anyone also tell me specifically how to reproduce these markings after I repaint the axle housing in semi-gloss black?  I have Markal marking pens, but these marks look as if they were done with some sort of white wet marking pen.  Any ideas with details on how to do it would be much appreciated. ;D
'65 Mustang Coupe - Restoration after I get Hertz running
'66 Hertz -In process of mechanical and body resto; has not run since the 1970's- a real rat rod

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Decoding and Application of Axle Housing Markings
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 12:38:50 PM »
Markings varied from one housing to another wether Shelby or Mustang. We don't see the same markings on every housing. A white paint marker would give a comparable look .I see them frequently in the auto parts stores. Some have a thin head and others wider. I would think you would want the wider. They are used to mark metal . The most prevalent place I see them used would be in a junk yard marking parts. I would practice on another piece of metal but probably a quick writing technique will give a thin appearance. A slower writing will give a thicker look. I hope this helps. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 03:55:33 PM »
Looks like "96" to me, written by a person with some training in drafting or some sign painting experience.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 05:27:11 PM »
Looks like "96" to me, written by a person with some training in drafting or some sign painting experience.
They also had Brain Surgeons and Rocket Scientist working on sub assemblies also ;D.  -Sarcasm is meant in a friendly kidding way. I couldn't resist . Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 07:35:28 PM »
Drafting was taught in high schools all over the place and you are instructed to make nines with a circle and a line.  These highschoolers dreamed of landing a job with a Big 3 auto manufacturer.

I knew a chemist that installed air cleaners and an archaeologist who put tires on rims.....LOL!
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 08:06:55 PM »
I've used a small paint brush to reproduce those specific makings. First times I've seen that number in that location though the layout (with the line IMHO indicating the bottom of the marking for orientation) Agree this was not the crayon markings we use the Markel's for

This is one of the reasons we remind owners not to copy other markings found on other peoples cars (unless it can be established that they were used on a regular basis on the same type vehicle at the same plant) since your car may have been the only one marked this exact way.

Care to PM the cars number so I can label and save this one? ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline GlennG

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 01:11:31 AM »
Jeff, for your info, this marking is from 6S1640, this is the '66 Shelby that you saw up on the trailer at SAAC 35 last year at Infineon Raceway.  Glenn 

PS - I'm still in process to get the drive train fully functional, but taking time to document all markings the best that I can, including tracings as I restore the drive train.  Unfortunately the front carrier was replaced with a '68 date coded gearset.  Eventually I will get the correct 65 date code and replace, but for now, I am simply excited to get this beast running properly.
'65 Mustang Coupe - Restoration after I get Hertz running
'66 Hertz -In process of mechanical and body resto; has not run since the 1970's- a real rat rod