Author Topic: 67 gt 350 intake water neck finish  (Read 3910 times)

Offline Brian in PA

67 gt 350 intake water neck finish
« on: February 29, 2016, 06:26:45 PM »
I was wondering if the water neck is natural/aluminum or painted blue since they were on the cars and the intakes were switched out. Thanks!

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 gt 350 intake water neck finish
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 07:27:43 PM »
I was wondering if the water neck is natural/aluminum or painted blue since they were on the cars and the intakes were switched out. Thanks!
Painted blue since they were on the intakes when the engine was painted and then switched over  to the Cobra intake when the engine was Cobraized at the Ford Cleveland engine plant.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Brian in PA

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 08:05:23 PM »
Thanks Bob.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 08:32:36 PM »
Don't paint the entire fitting, there was a "mask" placed over the tip of the outlet when the engine was painted to keep it natural. It was kept natural to prevent the hose from slipping off. A small bit of unpainted aluminum is a good touch. I use the plastic cap off a small spray paint can. Remember, the bypass hose and it's clamps were painted on the car.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Brian in PA

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 08:37:00 PM »
Thank you.  Would the water neck bolts have been replaced when the swap occurred resulting in natural finish on those as well?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 11:35:37 PM »
Thank you.  Would the water neck bolts have been replaced when the swap occurred resulting in natural finish on those as well?
Painted also but with evidence of being taken off and reinstalled. For the most historical look they should not be perfect.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 02:29:46 PM »
An example from a unrestored car

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 06:43:20 PM »
An example from a unrestored car

A much less known nuance detail is the bypass clamps. Jeff's picture illustrates the use of a special size clamp for the by pass hose. the special clamp installed at the Cleveland engine plant (unlike the heater hose clamps installed at SJ in this case. It has narrower band smaller and different size smaller thread but with same size hex head as on the heater hose.

Offline Brian in PA

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 07:34:34 PM »
Thank you gentlemen!  Great pics!

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 03:15:32 PM »
A much less known nuance detail is the bypass clamps. Jeff's picture illustrates the use of a special size clamp for the by pass hose. the special clamp installed at the Cleveland engine plant (unlike the heater hose clamps installed at SJ in this case. It has narrower band smaller and different size smaller thread but with same size hex head as on the heater hose.

I was searching for something else and decided to revisit the 67 Shelby posts.

In the photo above I see what appears to be the newer style t/c gasket. You can see it just under the dipstick bolt.
I thought assembly line gaskets left out the additional material you see here?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 05:02:09 PM »
I was searching for something else and decided to revisit the 67 Shelby posts.

In the photo above I see what appears to be the newer style t/c gasket. You can see it just under the dipstick bolt.
I thought assembly line gaskets left out the additional material you see here?

Not unusual for a water pump to have been changed out or a timing chain replaced on a 40+ year old car. Don't believe that color picture was a period picture from 67
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)