Author Topic: 1970 428 CJ head inspection markings  (Read 1662 times)

Offline 1970 Snake

1970 428 CJ head inspection markings
« on: May 13, 2020, 01:22:39 AM »
I notice a lot of restorations with markings on the front of the DS head but not on the PS head.
Can anyone advise if they have seen paint markings on the front of the PS head under the engine ID tag. I have attached a picture of my marking and would like to know if the marking would have been yellow or white.
I can see the adhesive mark of the ID decal sticker that disappeared in the first 20 years of life, and a long narrow paint mark under it which I believe is yellow but can not tell. Additionally the same type of mark is on the back of the DS head under the car serial number stamping. That mark is slightly more visible in one small spot it appears to be yellow like the one on the front PS.
I would like to replicate these marks and help with the colour of the marks would be appreciated if someone has seen these before. BTW there were NO visible markings on the front of my DS head which seem to be more popular on restorations.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 01:26:18 AM by 1970 Snake »
Dearborn Built Sept 4, 1969
1970 Mach1 428 CJ R-Code C6
Calypso Coral, White Deluxe Interior
dash tach, front bumperettes
Marti report one of one with delay wipers

Offline specialed

Re: 1970 428 CJ head inspection markings
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 10:18:52 AM »
I have seen the mark on rear lh head by serial# on 70 cjs  but never noticed being on front rh head but that's original to your car interesting and will note that, I see your car was early sept 69 Dearborn built automatic and do u have a photo of lh rear head markings and I also seen some block paint code markings on rh bottom of 70 block just above panrail that may have something to do with the 70 starter cable mounting as it seemed like the 70 original engine I looked at the block painter stayed away from the 2 block holes where the starter cable j-straps was bolted to block. thanks
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 10:28:36 AM by specialed »

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 12:27:00 PM »
Ed, I have attached a pic of the LH back head and what is left of it, I am pretty sure its a yellow paint mark below the serial number, which I have block part of, it is a very low number first week of production I do believe being Sept 4, 1969. Sorry I do not have any good pictures of the paint around the starter or starter cable area, I took those picture back in 2007 with a cheap camera while disassembling the car for restoration. I initially only took the pictures to review for reassembly NOT to document markings and other concours information.

The engine had many yellow markings on it especially on the crank shaft, I was amazed at the markings on it when I opened up the motor.

Also the LH valve cover has a OK with NO hyphen and the emissions stick is a 390 and not 428 which are both original factory applied.

The back axle also had many markings on it, the interesting ones where the white and pink ones on the axle shafts where they are inside the housing and also there where markings on the inside of the bowl of the housing itself.

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 01:49:43 PM »
Yellow paint on the water pump is original too?
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 02:44:29 PM »
Thanks Carl

Regarding the emissions sticker I did some research quite some time back and found the info on the sticker that was applied at the factory and found a new one and also one that is for the 428 CJ and believe the assembly line guys probably put the wrong sticker on the engine by mistake because the stickers are almost the same. I have not seen examples of the D0OE sticker available or designated on any of the vendor sites.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 02:46:54 PM by 1970 Snake »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 05:44:30 PM »
I notice a lot of restorations with markings on the front of the DS head but not on the PS head.

Yes its hard to ignore restored cars but in many cases you have to IMHO since you have no idea where the marks came from, if they were copied from some other engine or year  or simply made up. Have seen hundreds of examples of each over the years. I would guess that many see allot of 69's and assume that the marks would be the same in 70

Can anyone advise if they have seen paint markings on the front of the PS head under the engine ID tag. I have attached a picture of my marking and would like to know if the marking would have been yellow or white.
I can see the adhesive mark of the ID decal sticker that disappeared in the first 20 years of life, and a long narrow paint mark under it which I believe is yellow but can not tell. Additionally the same type of mark is on the back of the DS head under the car serial number stamping. That mark is slightly more visible in one small spot it appears to be yellow like the one on the front PS.

Guess you have already looked through the couple of unrestored picture threads and seen the one example with no visible markings other than a "2" in white  on the drivers side (front surface) head. May have disappeared over the year.  As well as the convertible with the engine out and the slash marks on the right end ( looking from the exhaust side of the head) of each head. So front surface on the passenger and rear surface on the driver's side.

Clear to see in person and in the posted picture they were white crayon application  on that engine and they didn't look discolored on that fairly low mileage Cailf car. On the rear of that same engine two bright yellow slashes are visible on the back side of the block in a protected area and those colors are very different in color when compared to the white mark above

One little note. They would not have been a head inspection mark IMHO since the mark was applied after the engine was assembled and painted as a unit. A little late for checking the heads or related items. Likely done for some other reason or one for each of two inspectors - one on each side of the line were ever they were at in the engine plant
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 05:51:48 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 05:52:31 PM »
Did double check the pictures I have of the drivers side head forward surface and added a note/description above. Also on the passenger side head at the rear there was a paint transfer of pink paint where the automatic filler tube was attached.
Jeff Speegle

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 06:21:58 PM »
Interesting Jeff thanks, did you post some pictures with the detailed references you are making as I see none.
I am only trying to find out what color the markings on my engine would probably have been, and I believe they are yellow but wanted some confirmation, and am only going to put back the markings I see in my pictures, and I see no paint markings on the DS front and PS back heads and have pretty clear pictures of those areas.

Can you shed any light as to the emissions sticker??
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 06:24:11 PM by 1970 Snake »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 10:08:08 PM »
Interesting Jeff thanks, did you post some pictures with the detailed references you are making as I see none.

Sorry I mentioned the unrestored picture threads "Guess you have already looked through the couple of unrestored picture threads"  Should have been more specific. If you go to the that section under 1970 Mustangs you will find at least two examples. One a convertible I looked at a few years back. Engine was out and apart. In the pictures you can see the drivers and passenger cylinder head markings I mentioned.

I am only trying to find out what color the markings on my engine would probably have been, and I believe they are yellow but wanted some confirmation, and am only going to put back the markings I see in my pictures, and I see no paint markings on the DS front and PS back heads and have pretty clear pictures of those areas.

There is the possibility that different workers on different shifts were assigned or just picked up different colors from what was supplied. We see some marks that can be explained this way while others are more specific. As often happens yellow, white and other light colors can discolor over the years and be mistaken for other colors. One of the reasons we suggest trying, if possible, to remove the outer skin or cross cut for closer examination 

Can you shed any light as to the emissions sticker??

Will take some time to compare timing for your specific engine and trans combination and see if I have some examples from other 70 CJ that match
Jeff Speegle

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 02:20:08 PM »
My Oct 6th, 1969, Dearborn built 428CJ (engine assembly date Sept 19th, 1969) emission sticker, for comparison;

D0OE-9C485-J

Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 08:08:01 PM »
Thanks Mike. I checked and didn't have any clear pictures of the decal in my picture files
Jeff Speegle

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2020, 06:37:57 AM »
Although I did not get my D0OE-9C485-G emission sticker from Perogie Ent. their website shows it as the 1970 428 CJ correct "early" sticker and the D0OE-9C485-J as the correct "mid" production sticker.

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2020, 09:50:36 PM »
My unrestored December 3rd DB. Looks like a white mark to me.
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2020, 12:15:47 AM »
Thanks Carl, yes I believe you are correct, after review of both my markings again, I believe the front PS below the engine ID sticker is white and on the back DS under the car S/N # is yellow, like all the other markings on the back of the block and crank.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2020, 04:08:22 PM »
So we have examples in both white and yellow. Looks like either it was a choose (random choice) or served a purpose. Another unknown details (as far as color) for the time being  it seems
Jeff Speegle