Author Topic: Steering wheel  (Read 171 times)

Offline lmennis

Steering wheel
« on: April 16, 2024, 09:59:37 PM »
My car has an original 2 spoke steering wheel which is cracked and showing signs of wear. Rather than replace it with the same, I want to upgrade to the rim blow steering wheel which looks much better. I've heard that the reproductions are not the greatest and that most of the time the horn cannot be used as the reproductions do not function properly. I know it is possible to get a restored original one but they are quite expensive. If I install a different steering wheel that is not for 1969 it would not be period correct and would require an adaptor I believe. Any advice or suggestions?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Steering wheel
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2024, 11:09:35 PM »
Given the focus here the answer would be to fix or replace your steering wheel with the original 2 spoke. IN this way you will side step the issues with the reproduction (don't know them personally) and the concern about the rim blow liner causing issues that may damage the car.

If, again remembering our focus, your car is original or restored an aftermarket wheel IMHO will just look out of place and at least half of the people who view your car will tell one another "hey look its got a aftermarket steering wheel" That could get old quikcly
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2024, 11:10:35 PM »
I've had several of the 1969 rimblow wheels. My opinion is the reproductions are outstanding and typically work with no issues. They come from here:
https://rimblowrestoration.com

Of course the same company will restore your original wheel too - for the same price. Your choice.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 11:13:22 PM by RoyceP »
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2024, 11:49:04 AM »
Something to consider when having a rim blow steering wheel restored is that most restorers are not aware that the assemblyline steering wheel plastic is not black but a very dark gray. It is meant to match the properly painted dark gray metallic steering column and dash paint. It only makes sense that the factory would match things up. The mis match of a fresh restored but done black wheel is very obvious when installed connected to a properly painted dark gray metallic steering column. If more people would request the right look then more wheel restoration companies would do it right. 9 times out of 10 I find this when concours judging a restored car. Yes there is a deduction although small.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 11:51:39 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby