Author Topic: 1968 GT grille conversion  (Read 701 times)

Offline don.piotrek

• 12/1/1967: a '68 Dearborn C-code coupe
1968 GT grille conversion
« on: March 25, 2018, 09:59:46 AM »
Hi guys,

Currently on my 1968 GT coupe I have a standard front grille which I need to replace with a GT one - that with the fog lamps. Do you have any experience on adding the lights? Is it possible or does it require some additional customizing or further mounting parts replacement?

I am thinking of getting this set:
https://www.cjponyparts.com/fog-light-conversion-kit-1968/p/FLK4/
Is that enough to make a GT grille out of a regular one?

Thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1968 GT grille conversion
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 02:38:39 PM »
Picture seems to suggest that it may not look like factory/original ones installed

Since you state the car originally had the lights is any of the original parts remaining? Switch, wiring ......
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline DTruitt

Re: 1968 GT grille conversion
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 06:34:03 PM »
If it is a true factory GT the factory wiring for the fog lights may still be in place.  Check under the dash near the ignition switch area for the wiring pigtail and signs of the switch having been mounted to the lower dash.  Then check the grill area for the wiring pigtail, should be blue (if I remember correctly).  If the wiring is still there you just need the brackets (shown in your picture) and the fog light assemblies.

Your standard grill should have holes pre-drilled for the fog light brackets.  The brackets were riveted into place (blind rivets).  The opening was cut in a specific pattern so do some research there before you cut the opening.

This should get you started in the right direction.

Danny
1968 Raven Black, S- Code, 4 spd., GT Fastback, San Jose, March 1968
1968 Candy Apple Red, J- Code, C-4, GT Convertable, San Jose, April 1968 (SOLD)
1968 Raven Black, R- Code, 4 spd., GT Coupe, Dearborn, April 1968
MCA Gold Card Judge