Author Topic: GT stripe colour  (Read 335 times)

Offline Gallop

GT stripe colour
« on: February 23, 2024, 08:31:10 PM »
I have a May 65 Dearborn GT fastback, Wimbledon white with blue and white (code 62) interior. I recently had some rust removed from the doors (and other body work) and part of the blue GT stripe was removed in the process. I purchased a replacement set of Dekal Magic stripes from NPD (GTS-3-65 - blue) but the blue colour is quite different from the colour of the old stripe.

The old stripe is a very dark blue - more like a navy blue. In poor light the stripe could almost be black (but it is not). I don't know if the dark blue stripe is original to the car. The new stripe is more like a royal blue - far lighter. The new stripe does not look like the old stripe in any way.

What is the correct colour for a 65 GT stripe?

Also, what is the method method to remove an old stripe without damaging the paintwork? (Some of the old stripe remains on the car.)

Thanks in advance.
May 65 Dearborn GT Fastback - 289, 4sp, air, pony interior
Dec 65 San Jose Coupe - 289, C4

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: GT stripe colour
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2024, 01:00:45 PM »
Welcome to the site. Hope you find the information and support your looking for in relations to concours and restoring these cars.

Not a surprise to hear that some of the reproduction colors are "off" but never heard of a supplier named Dekal Magic so can't speak to their products. Firstly I guess that your car has been repainted so no trace of the original stripping remains to help you in that way. We could post some pictures of other examples but unfortunately with digit pictures and monitor settings they are poor guides to the "correct" or original coloring.

As for removing the stripes companies like 3M did or still sell attachments for drills that are designed to removed stick on decals and not damage the paint.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2024, 07:22:54 PM »
Had the same issue when restoring a '65 GT convertible years back.  Sourced NOS decals that worked fine.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2024, 08:18:38 PM »
GALLOP

Images of a NOS 65/66 blue GT stripe kit that i found many years ago.

regards

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline Gallop

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2024, 04:58:00 AM »
Thanks for the welcome Jeff. I have actually been following this site since it was first created and the information has been invaluable. I was quite surprised my post the other day was my first.

The car was not totally repainted so I do some have 'original' stripe on the car which is a very dark blue. The car has only done 77,000 miles according to the history I have dating back to 1984 so the remaining stripe could be original ... or not.

Pictures of originals would be helpful, even noting your comment Jeff about monitors/digital images.

Does anyone know roughly the colour (navy blue, royal blue, guardsman blue) of the original stripes?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2024, 01:38:34 AM »
This is the car mentioned that had NOS stripes applied...

It's really hard to see the blue in the pics like Jeff mentioned, they look black.

But, like seen, the reproduction blue stripes are nowhere near.

If you're trying to match original stripes, the only choice is likely going to be to source some NOS ones.  Even if they aren't any good, at least they can be used to try and match something else available and have some made.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Gallop

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2024, 03:22:10 AM »
Thanks Charles. Those photos are very useful and most appreciated. I suspect my stripes are the originals or NOS ones from years ago because they look just like the ones in the photos - almost black. I'm in Australia so tracking down NOS ones is a little harder but the suggestion of getting them made is a good one. Easier these days with all the wraps for new cars.