Author Topic: Original '68 Fuel hose and clamps - Metuchen  (Read 1224 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Original '68 Fuel hose and clamps - Metuchen
« on: June 27, 2023, 04:26:16 PM »
Working on a low mileage '68 Metuchen car with an early March '68 build date.  Thought I would share a pic of the original fuel hose/clamps.  Mostly as the commonly available reproduction has the triangle stampings for 3/8" hose.  Original fuel pump dated right to the car, so have no reason to believe any of these parts were replaced.  Surprisingly, the hose is not cracked... it's hard as a brick and I wouldn't use it on a driven car, but would say it fared well after 55 years!
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Original '68 Fuel hose and clamps - Metuchen
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2023, 06:50:35 PM »
Working on a low mileage '68 Metuchen car with an early March '68 build date.  Thought I would share a pic of the original fuel hose/clamps.  Mostly as the commonly available reproduction has the triangle stampings for 3/8" hose.  Original fuel pump dated right to the car, so have no reason to believe any of these parts were replaced.  Surprisingly, the hose is not cracked... it's hard as a brick and I wouldn't use it on a driven car, but would say it fared well after 55 years!
For clarification the squared off ear 3/8 hose clamp is not commonly available reproduction however the 3/8 rubber hose with triangle stamping is . I had to read that a couple times.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 07:23:29 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2023, 10:12:31 PM »
For clarification the squared off ear 3/8 hose clamp is not commonly available reproduction however the 3/8 rubber hose with triangle stamping is . I had to read that a couple times.

Right, was referring to hose markings.  Clamps are unique as mentioned, I didn't look for markings on those yet.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2023, 12:56:15 AM »

Right, was referring to hose markings.  Clamps are unique as mentioned, I didn't look for markings on those yet.
I have found some 3/8 clamps with a diamond marking ,some with a letter marking and others with no marking.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2023, 09:21:44 AM »
Have never seen blocks/triangles 68 NJ car. You can laquer thinner off and leave gas gas but spacing will be wrong. I had spool of correct gas gas (3/8") made
Also spring square edge typical for NJ. Was a period early through january they used #2 Whittek on the 2 @ the frame rail hose
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline dkknab

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2023, 09:05:16 PM »
Have never seen blocks/triangles 68 NJ car. You can laquer thinner off and leave gas gas but spacing will be wrong. I had spool of correct gas gas (3/8") made
Also spring square edge typical for NJ. Was a period early through january they used #2 Whittek on the 2 @ the frame rail hose

I have two square tip spring hose clamps at the fuel line between the fuel pump and inner fender well, two midway toward the rear,  and two at the tank just before the sender.  I was deducted one point at a recent MCA event for the finish.  I think they were being kind.  My clamps are dirty.  What is the finish of these as I attempt to clean them up,?   I'll also be looking to see if there are any markings on them.

PS I did find this thread with info that the clamps are a darker finish but not as dark as P&O. Is that right?

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=1457.msg7377#msg7377

« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 09:14:06 PM by dkknab »
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2023, 09:36:44 PM »
I have two square tip spring hose clamps at the fuel line between the fuel pump and inner fender well, two midway toward the rear,  and two at the tank just before the sender.  I was deducted one point at a recent MCA event for the finish.  I think they were being kind.  My clamps are dirty.  What is the finish of these as I attempt to clean them up,?   I'll also be looking to see if there are any markings on them.

PS I did find this thread with info that the clamps are a darker finish but not as dark as P&O. Is that right?

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=1457.msg7377#msg7377
The 68 3/8 fuel line Spring clamps are typically silver . Use a aluminum paint to mimic the finish.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2023, 01:35:33 AM »
The ones in the pic above were silver as Bob mentioned, all 6 originals were still on the car and with varying degrees of silver on them.  It was a little delicate and if soaking too long in rust remover, like evaporust of rust911, it would soften like paint does in these products.

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2023, 09:50:04 AM »
Charles, If you meed a chunk of hose, I probably have some. Kevin made it for me at one time.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2023, 11:55:44 AM »
Charles, If you meed a chunk of hose, I probably have some. Kevin made it for me at one time.

Thanks, good to know.  For this particular car, it's a preservation/mechanical refresh of a low mileage car, so the cleaned originals will be re-used.  Had the fuel pump rebuilt and just cleaned also, not restored.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2023, 07:52:47 AM »
Do the assembly manuals give the lengths these hoses should be cut to length at? Or does someone simply cut to a length to what "looks right" and if the second option, what "looks right" in all 3 of the locations being discussed  (for the use of this particular hose).
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments