1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1971 - 1973

71 Mach 1 trunk

<< < (2/4) > >>

nham3407:
I purchased my Zolotone through TCP.  Jeff, I must respectfully disagree that the 71 trunk spatter base is more of a gray versus the 72 being more of a black base color.  I have attached both of the color chip pages for 71 & 72.  I would caution you to make sure and follow the manufacturers instructions on stirring the paint.  The color flexs are suspended bubbles in the paint and to aggressive mixing will burst them. I used a Lizard Skin siphon spray gun with a big nozzle and was very pleased with the spray out.  I am not a skilled painter, but for an ameteur I was happy.

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: nham3407 on December 23, 2014, 10:16:30 AM ---I purchased my Zolotone through TCP.  Jeff, I must respectfully disagree that the 71 trunk spatter base is more of a gray versus the 72 being more of a black base color.  .......

--- End quote ---

Not really a "disagreement"  - more of a correction:)

No problem - wrote it sort of backwards - thanks for the correction. The correct information getting out is the focus

D1ZX:
Yes, the PPG charts lists the light spatter codes for 69, 70, and 71 Fords. The PPG Ford charts for 72 and 73 Fords list the darker spatter. I've spent many hours looking at 71-73 Mustangs in junk yards in the 70s, and many hours at a Mustang only yard in the 80s. I have never seen a 71 Mustang with a light colored trunk. At the 429CJ Mustang Megasite we even have pics of 71showing a low mile unrestored trunk, and its showing the dark color???  I
wouldn't go by what you might JUST see on an aftermaket chart, especally if it wasn't updated correctly, or on time? There are plenty of unrestored 71 stangs on ebay showing the dark trunks, and there are also 69-70 big Fords there, showing the lighter gray, as those should. Here is an picture of the light gray from this 69 LTD.

D1ZX:
Here's pixs of a 1971 LTD trunk . Look like the dark to me, espescially if you compare it to the gray on the earlier car.

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: D1ZX on March 26, 2015, 11:11:09 AM ---Here's pixs of a 1971 LTD trunk . Look like the dark to me, espescially if you compare it to the gray on the earlier car.

--- End quote ---

I think that pictures of cars but built on the same line or plant have little to offer if we're discussing Mustangs. I would choose to use the Mustangs & Cougars as a guide and ignore the other car models. No reason to believe that they even were supplied by the same paint company

Now if this was Concours LTD Forum that would be soemthing completely different ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version