Author Topic: Windshield & Glass Source  (Read 4858 times)

Offline Building 3

Windshield & Glass Source
« on: January 04, 2015, 08:53:20 PM »
There have been many posts on sources for windshields and glass.  Unfortunately, over the years, some of those sources are no longer in business. I tried Elite Auto Glass in Janesville, Wisconsin. I talked with Chad on the phone and he was very knowledgeable.  The windshield was shipped out within two days and I am very happy with the results. It has the Carlite logo with the correct glass plant and date code to match the original glass on the car.
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline drummingrocks

Re: Windshield & Glass Source
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 12:20:49 PM »
Great, glad to hear there's still a few sources out there.  I know lots of people were sad to see PS Auto Glass go under.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 10:43:24 PM »
Was the glass All Clear like most originals??.....Or with a Blue shade band at the top???

By the by...  PS Autoglass went under??  When did that happen??? Their website is still up!

Just curious.

Also, Lots of the best Glass seems to come from this place... ECS..

http://ecsautomotive.com/

The best Ford Glass Etching Kits can be found here:

http://www.fordscript.com/carleton_glass/index.html

:o)

Tony K.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 11:25:15 PM by NEFaurora »
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 01:25:32 AM »
PS Auto Glass is out of business???  I havent heard that.  Is Elite Auto Glass the same guys with a different name?
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline Building 3

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 10:35:50 AM »
The glass is exactly like my original glass, a light green tint throughout with a blue band at the top. The etched "bug" at the base is the same. Etched on the outside and read from the outside. The Nashville glass plant logo and the date code match the rest of the glass on the car. I called several places before going with Elite. Chad at Elite was knowledgeable, friendly and had the windshields in stock.  It was delivered within a week. That process worked for me. I am sure that there are others that can provide similar good service, but I just wanted to mention this source since a lot of us ask for help, I thought it would be good for me to give some help. 
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline nham3407

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 11:37:22 AM »
I just spoke with Tim at PS and they are still in business. I have purchased 2 windshields from them for my mustangs.  I had both of them date etched.  The most recent purchase for my 72 had a flaw in the glass that was noticed after they had already date etched it.  I have family in SE Wisconsin so while visiting we made the trip over to PS to pick up the windshield. They pointed out the flaw before I saw it and said they would get another windshield and etch a new one in a couple of days.  Ended up getting that windshield brought down by family and it was fine.  I have been happy with them in my purchases.  They are a small shop in an industrial area in Janesville, WI.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 11:56:57 AM »
Sorry guys, my mistake.  I could've sworn that somebody posted back in the summer that PS had gone under.  Maybe it was that they were moving out of the vintage market altogether?  Again, my mistake.

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 12:01:28 PM »

The best Ford Glass Etching Kits can be found here:

http://www.fordscript.com/carleton_glass/index.html

Is Carleton Glass selling the etching kits again?  With respect to the early Carlite bug, I contacted them in July 2014 and they were not selling the kits anymore. 
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 12:02:54 PM »
Is Carleton Glass selling the etching kits again?  With respect to the early Carlite bug, I contacted them in July 2014 and they were not selling the kits anymore.

At the risk of being wrong again  ;D , that's what I thought too.  The Carlite kits were no longer available.  From what I remember, someone here on the forum detailed the process for making your own stencil.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 12:15:17 PM »
PS Auto Glass is out of business???  I havent heard that.  Is Elite Auto Glass the same guys with a different name?

"This town ain't big enough for the both of us"

One would think so...
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 01:47:36 AM »
"With respect to the early Carlite bug, I contacted them in July 2014 and they were not selling the kits anymore."

Geez, I placed my order on 06/13.  I feel lucky now that I got my etching kit when I did.  I still have'nt used the kit yet, but will be using it soon.

:o)

Tony K.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 08:20:56 PM by NEFaurora »
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 05:24:13 AM »
P S supplied the windshield for my '65 K GT Convertible as well as the door roll up windows.

This was back in 2009

Very happy with the products, and the etching!

I have THE original vents and quarters (sun x tinted) and the new door roll ups match perfectly! (WOW!!)