Author Topic: Paint systems question  (Read 1865 times)

Offline ruger

Paint systems question
« on: March 17, 2015, 11:09:44 AM »
While I have down time such as lunch breaks etc... I have been checking into paint.  I called the local paint shop for basic info. I was informed that the lacquer paint system has been obsolete for about 6-7 years and that I can only go with bc/cc system.  Have any of you found this to be true or is he just pushing bc/cc systems? 
1969 Sportsroof Mustang E'
63D
250 six cyl.
C4 trans.
Dearborn build Nov. 1968

Offline Building 3

Re: Paint systems question
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 02:51:10 PM »
Many states have environmental laws that have made older chemical formulas illegal. That "may" be true in your area.  You will need to check on that.  I just completed a 1966 Mustang restoration and we used single stage enamel paint on the car. So older style paints are still available, at least in certain areas of the country.
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 03:22:49 PM »
There are single stage urethane paints that do a great job, but really tough to match exactly to the original baked enamel/acrylic enamel.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline ddonzella

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 11:10:48 AM »
May I ask?  Is base coat clear coat a Concours No No??

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 05:53:25 PM »
While I have down time such as lunch breaks etc... I have been checking into paint.  I called the local paint shop for basic info. I was informed that the lacquer paint system has been obsolete for about 6-7 years and that I can only go with bc/cc system.  Have any of you found this to be true or is he just pushing bc/cc systems?

First, for exterior colors lacquer was not what they used to paint these cars nor IMHO do you want to use it to reproduce a factory look.

Many areas have been forced to go to water based paints and IMHO reproducing the original look and colors is difficult but everything must be a custom mix (normally multiple times).

As to this that many painters have gotten use to just laying on allot of product (clears) with tons of runs and curtains since they have gotten used to sanding and buffing for a final look - very unlike the original finish. Seems to be less and less painters that can lay on the paint and then can walk away with an acceptable finish.

Also if your going to use the car its been my experience (last two paint jobs) that the BC/CC do not hold up well over time exposed to the sun, for any length of time.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)