Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Interior & Trunk

Number on seat platform & interior paint

(1/1)

Panther:
While changing the carpet of my '66 coupe i noticed the number "4" on the seat platform (passenger side):

The drivers side only had some kind of paper pasted on:

I've seen another number on a '68 fastback (build date: 11/16/1967; San Jose):

A friend of mine found an "18" on the passenger side and a "38" on the drivers side of his 1970 Grande.
Are there any known explanations for these numbers? What could they mean?

Another thing i noticed: I always read that the interior floor of the mustang always was painted with the exterior color.
Now my mustang shows something different. The exterior color (Springtime Yellow) ends in the trunk area and the floor shows the parchment color my interior originaly has (D6 - parchment with black appointments):

Is this another thing that depends on the date and the assembly plant or was it always painted the way my mustang was painted? Or was the information i read so often right, that the interior floor should be painted with the exterior color?

CharlesTurner:
Were you able to find a 3 digit rotation number on the hood, radiator support or tail light panel?

I've seen the single digit on other SJ cars.  The '65 examples I found matched the first digit of the 3 digit rotation number.

J_Speegle:
First thanks for including when and where your car was built

The individual single digit numbers (as Charles mentioned) are sometimes part of the rotation number and sometimes (as in your examples) just individual numbers for some other purpose. Have asked the workers but so far none can recall what they indicated. We find them (depending one year) on the A pillars, cowl, bottom of trunk lids (under paint) under the hood though these are rarely found and apparently not applied to every car or even 10% from my observations.

--- Quote from: Panther on April 22, 2010, 09:52:54 AM ---Is this another thing that depends on the date and the assembly plant or was it always painted the way my mustang was painted? Or was the information i read so often right, that the interior floor should be painted with the exterior color?

--- End quote ---

Not sure if that is parchment or a weak coating of the yellow. Not sure how the interior color didn't get covered by the exterior overspray or why (dash, A pillars and door interior surface were the only sections painted) there would be so much paint that far back.

Panther:
Charles, i didn't find the number on the hood or the radioator support - still have to look up at the inside of the trunk - if i'll find anything i'll post it here.

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on April 22, 2010, 07:08:50 PM ---First thanks for including when and where your car was built

--- End quote ---

You're welcome, Jeff. I did it the way you suggested it.  ;)

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on April 22, 2010, 07:08:50 PM ---Not sure if that is parchment or a weak coating of the yellow. Not sure how the interior color didn't get covered

by the exterior overspray or why (dash, A pillars and door interior surface were the only sections painted) there

would be so much paint that far back.

--- End quote ---

Here's another picture that could be interesting. On the left area you can see a springtime yellow overspray but on the right, there's just the color that looks like parchment - i'm confused about it  ???

J_Speegle:
Looks like allot of spray adhesive from previous owners. This as well as the possible pealing up of the paint, may be effecting what your seeing

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version