Marketplace > Services Offered

Parts Tumbling

<< < (2/3) > >>

CharlesTurner:

--- Quote from: D0ZZ70MACH on April 20, 2015, 09:58:10 PM ---I have some parts which were cleaned and zinc plated however the plating did not turn out as well as I had hoped.  Can the zinc
plated parts be tumbled or must they be stripped of the plating first?  Thank you in advance!!  Aaron

--- End quote ---

I'd have to see the parts to get an idea of what the plating looks like.  If they are dull, then tumbling will polish them up a bit.  If the plating is spotty, then tumbling may make them look worse.

Thanks!

jwc66k:

--- Quote from: D0ZZ70MACH on April 20, 2015, 09:58:10 PM ---I have some parts which were cleaned and zinc plated however the plating did not turn out as well as I had hoped.  Can the zinc
plated parts be tumbled or must they be stripped of the plating first? 

--- End quote ---
The simple answer is no and yes. My plater prefers clean metal to plate, I bead blast the items I send him, but he also gives the stuff a dip in a mild hydrochloric acid bath, mostly to remove oil, grease and finger prints from handling. That includes brand new metal (he does plating on electronic chassis to exhaust systems for small motorcycles) as well as electronic items that get refurbished that need to get stripped first. The bottom line is plating over plating is not desired.
Jim

jwc66k:

--- Quote from: caspian65 on April 20, 2015, 07:42:00 PM ---I'll refer all the folks needing fastener tumbling to you Jim  ;D

--- End quote ---
Thanks, but I also do my own phosphating and send hardware parts out to my plater. It's small time, some of my customers are on this forum.
Off topic: The guy that did glass work for me retired last month, and the guy that did powder coating sold his business, he's out as of the end of the month. It's getting difficult to find "car friendly" shops locally.
Jim

kcodecoupe:
Charles, would a small block aluminum bell housing be too large for your tumbler,  chuck.

67gta289:

--- Quote from: kcodecoupe on April 21, 2015, 08:35:35 AM ---Charles, would a small block aluminum bell housing be too large for your tumbler,  chuck.

--- End quote ---
Chuck, if it is outside of Charles' capability send me a PM, I can help you get it done.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version