Author Topic: original '67 289 radiator identification  (Read 8191 times)

Offline Deuce

Re: original '67 289 radiator identification
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2018, 08:26:34 AM »
Jeff, I think your round-top bracket radiator pictured here may be a 16-inch radiator (I-6 example?), noting what looks to be the wider side bracket at the lower edge of image (not completely seen in this image).

Aside from this, my understanding is that any 289 with Thermactor & Select-Aire would have Extra Cooling option (also K-codes too, even w/o Select-Aire). Other 289's WITHOUT Select-Aire would typically receive a 20-inch STANDARD cooling radiator. I have not seen any 289's with a 16-inch radiator (though I would never rule this out for Eastern/Midwest DSO's). I did not look at the MPC to confirm any of this, only reporting my personal observations over the years which were mostly Western DSO examples.

I'd agree with Richard, which is why I think the radiator below looks to be a good match for my '67 C code car with C4, AC and T/E.  It needs servicing and repair, but I'll move forward.

Deuce
1967 C-code Hardtop Coupe, C-4, AC, PS, T/E; SJ built Nov 30 1966, DSO 71___Unrestored
2008 Premium GT Coupe, 5-speed, rear spoiler delete, HID headlamps, well-optioned, Flat Rock built Oct 23 2007, RC 72

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2018, 09:07:18 AM »
I'd agree with Richard, which is why I think the radiator below looks to be a good match for my '67 C code car with C4, AC and T/E.  It needs servicing and repair, but I'll move forward.

I wouldn't say it is exactly a perfect match but feel you may be safe in saying it is "a good match". I believe what you may have there is a STANDARD cooling radiator but as a core, it can be used for parts to achieve a "perfect match" to your build information.

Robert, I am curious about the strap differences seen as you have pointed out. I realize we may not be able to whittle it down as to why they are different than the majority typically found but perhaps, and keeping in mind, radiator shops often switch things around when doing repair or recore work. Another situation that can weigh in is that Falcons, Comets, Fairlanes and other Mid-size Ford/Mercury cars can use the same size core and similar brackets can be swapped around.

I think it is safest to say (as it always is) unRestored examples with the same equipment is the safest examples to compair your needs to.

By the way, it is AT LEAST a great find nonetheless! I would certainly would not hesitate using it for the top tank (at very least) on my 67 with similar date and equipment and I feel we are searching for the exact same end result for our build info*. Given Jeff's picture...it certainly looks like the side straps may be from perhaps another supplier other than Western Modine (manufactured circa October 1966).

*(since I already have a brand new Modine radiator)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 09:09:53 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Deuce

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2018, 10:30:23 AM »
I wouldn't say it is exactly a perfect match but feel you may be safe in saying it is "a good match". I believe what you may have there is a STANDARD cooling radiator but as a core, it can be used for parts to achieve a "perfect match" to your build information.

Robert, I am curious about the strap differences seen as you have pointed out. I realize we may not be able to whittle it down as to why they are different than the majority typically found but perhaps, and keeping in mind, radiator shops often switch things around when doing repair or recore work. Another situation that can weigh in is that Falcons, Comets, Fairlanes and other Mid-size Ford/Mercury cars can use the same size core and similar brackets can be swapped around.

I think it is safest to say (as it always is) unRestored examples with the same equipment is the safest examples to compair your needs to.

By the way, it is AT LEAST a great find nonetheless! I would certainly would not hesitate using it for the top tank (at very least) on my 67 with similar date and equipment and I feel we are searching for the exact same end result for our build info*. Given Jeff's picture...it certainly looks like the side straps may be from perhaps another supplier other than Western Modine (manufactured circa October 1966).

*(since I already have a brand new Modine radiator)

Thanks Richard,

I haven't had the opportunity to compare side-by-side, a 1967 20" Standard radiator with an Extra Cooling radiator so I can't comment about any differences.

Agree, the radiator is a good find that I'll plan to use on my car.  I have the original side straps with the curved corners which I plan to swap.  For background, the car currently has an aftermarket Modine core installed in 1981 to replace the worn out W MO radiator.  The original radiator was discarded (1981 - who knew!), however the original straps were reused on the Modine core.

Robert
Deuce
1967 C-code Hardtop Coupe, C-4, AC, PS, T/E; SJ built Nov 30 1966, DSO 71___Unrestored
2008 Premium GT Coupe, 5-speed, rear spoiler delete, HID headlamps, well-optioned, Flat Rock built Oct 23 2007, RC 72

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2018, 10:32:52 AM »
I realize that you are looking for information on a SJ 67 but here is a picture of a 20 inch 68 SJ radiator in our unrestored HCS. It has the same straps as yours.

Offline Deuce

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2018, 10:39:51 AM »
I realize that you are looking for information on a SJ 67 but here is a picture of a 20 inch 68 SJ radiator in our unrestored HCS. It has the same straps as yours.

Thank you, your photo is very useful! 
Deuce

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2018, 11:14:33 AM »

Not really Marty...it has the same look as what he should be using. Look again at Robert's recent "enlarged" picture. The corners are sharp, 90o corners, not the rounded corners the other examples have (not to be confused with the 'round-top' strap Jeff showed earlier).

Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2018, 11:34:12 AM »
Thanks for the additional info Jeff.

Here's another thread: 67 San Jose Convertible C Code Thermactor w/AC-Unrestored Picture Thread 67 San Jose Convertible http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=8272.0

Photos E3 and E11 show similar rounded corners on the straps, on a '67 C code.

E3

E11

?? This looks rounded to me.

Offline Deuce

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2018, 11:50:59 AM »
Richard and Marty,

I think we are in agreement that the rounded corners not sharp corners are correct for a '67 20" radiator.  Below is a photo of the old radiator currently in my car.  I plan to re-use those rounded-corner straps shown in the pic on the repaired W MO 66-9 radiator when it's installed. 

Robert

Deuce

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2018, 03:26:58 PM »
?? This looks rounded to me.

I was saying Roberts recent find had the square corners. Maybe a misunderstanding of sorts in where I was looking. (see attached)

[/quote]

Richard Urch

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2018, 03:49:29 PM »
Maybe it's because the near corner looks round and the far corner looks square?

BTW, my W-MO 67 2 extra cooling radiator (Marti confirms) has rounded corners with the tag still on top.

Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2018, 06:36:41 PM »
As often happens its terms or words that we choose and their differences that get in the way of our understanding and communication.

Do have one example with a notched corner but would not post it, don't know the history and there is only one so likely there is some other explanation for that single example
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Deuce

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2018, 07:39:29 PM »
Maybe it's because the near corner looks round and the far corner looks square?

BTW, my W-MO 67 2 extra cooling radiator (Marti confirms) has rounded corners with the tag still on top.

Have learned through this forum that the Extra Cooling package can consist of varying components, depending on the year and model of the car.  For the '67 Mustang with a 289,  Extra Cooling would include in addition to the 20" radiator:  seven-blade clutch fan, fan shroud, and ___ ?  For 289 cars with AC (and Thermactor in certain DSOs), the Extra Cooling package is included with the AC option.  I understand that Extra Cooling is included with any 1967 GT350; for example Bossbill's.

I have a question about the 20" radiator used with the 289 Extra Cooling package in 1967:  What are the differences if any, from the standard 20" radiator used with the 289?
Deuce

Offline 67350#1242

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2018, 07:50:13 PM »
Duece,  I don't mean to be argumentative, but I would give a second look at the straps you plan to use.  There is even a bigger difference that I see - if you will note how the original factory straps have a bump up across the strap before making the turn down the side,  Which these do not have - they are flat.  (the original soldered on tag lays right along this recess).   I have seen Modine replacement radiators with the flat style strap.

Personally, I would use the tank and straps from the core you found - they look right.  (I really can't see what you mean by square corners - maybe a better straight from top photo would help)   At any rate if they appear too squared off, a little radiusing with a file should do the trick.

The main difference in standard vs extra cooling radiator was in the fins per inch specification and otherwise look the same.
Hope you see what I'm saying - Kurt.

67 Coupe SJ 11/16/66
67 GT350 SJ 2/01/67

Offline Deuce

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2018, 09:01:29 PM »
Kurt,

I would agree, some basic filing work would do the job on those straps. Then I can use them, along with the soldered-on tag. 

Thank you for the explanation of differences between Extra Cooling and Standard radiators: a higher fin count per inch on the Extra Cooling version. 

This info will help to achieve the correct results on the finished radiator. 
Deuce

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2018, 02:10:47 PM »
The extra cooling on a Shelby consists of the radiator as Kurt noted, the shroud (rectangular and oval FoMoCo logo, depending on date) and a slightly larger diameter 4 bladed fan.

I'm also seeing a plate just below the radiator water inlet with a round hole. I thought this was indicative of an original core, but I'm unsure. Can anyone verify or disprove?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion