Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Interior & Trunk

Suitable match for '66 black interior paint?

(1/3) > >>

drummingrocks:
I'm finishing up the interior restoration on my '66 fastback, and I have a few questions about duplicating the original finish on the interior paint.  I've seen a LOT of variations over the years, and it seems that a lot of people end up with interiors that are too dull or too shiny.  I'd like to avoid this.  I've seen the paints offered by NPD and other Mustang retailers.  I'm kind of hesitant about trying to spray the larger panels on a fastback with a spray can, but is this the best way to go?  Has anyone used these spray-can paints with any type of success?  Again, I just want the most correct looking paint possible.

NEFaurora:

If you are talking original '66 interior paint...It would be Charcoal "Irid" Black.

It looks like sort of like a semi-flat metallic Black.  It is definately more flat than glossy and is still sold in laquer cans from NPD and California Mustang.  Most Ford and Mustang Parts vendors carry it in a laquer spray bomb.  That is the correct one for re-spraying a door lets say to match the rest of the interior.  The big problem is...that the original black was really not that attractive if you can believe it when compared to other blacks..kind of yucky looking if you ask me. (My personal opinion)... Hence the beginning flood of resto colors...Many shades of different blacks that you now see today at car shows.  The original Krylon 1613 has far proven itself to be the best overal spray bomb....or I should say...The best looking...and best wearing.  A problem is that Valspar (The maker of Krylon) discontiued the original laquer based formula (for over 30 years) for a new Enamel based formula (Greenpeace crazies) which is like poo when compared to the old stuff.  You can still get the original Krylon 1613 at Graingers online though. It sells for like 5 bucks a can. The original black was never glossy, yet it was metallic when you looked at it in the light or sunshine...and I hate seeing a "Gloss black dash" at shows.. It really looks wrong.  It all depends where you want to go and how far that you want to take it... You could have a body shop mix it up and spray it for you...which is an excellent route...but you'd probably have to gut your interior to do so..

CharlesTurner:
Charcoal black was first introduced in Mustangs for the '67 model year.

The correct black for 65-66 is a non-metallic semi-gloss (more to the flat side).

midlife:
While not completely concours correct, the SEMS Landau Black is a reasonably close match to the original.  If you're completely re-doing the entire interior (doors, dash, panels, etc.) this may be a good way to go.  SEMS is very easy to apply and touch-up.  With the entire interior done this way, you may be able to fool a judge or two or three...

Panther:

--- Quote from: caspian65 on May 16, 2010, 12:25:36 AM ---Charcoal black was first introduced in Mustangs for the '67 model year.

The correct black for 65-66 is a non-metallic semi-gloss (more to the flat side).

--- End quote ---

Just to be sure: So the right black for a 67 interior is charcoal black metallic, right?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version