Author Topic: Chassis black  (Read 2200 times)

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
Chassis black
« on: April 29, 2015, 10:34:38 PM »
OK, I searched the forums and couldn't find any discussion about this particular subject. If I missed it somewhere, or this is just common knowledge that I've been oblivious to, please forgive me.

The '75 MPC and various other sources list Ford p/n B8A 1713-A as "Chassis Black". I've seen lots of discussion about what products people are using to paint the engine compartment and suspension components, but I never gave much thought to what was used on the production line. Recently I acquired an Autolite "Ready Reference Catalog - Parts And Accessories - 1968 Edition" (col. 68 FPM-47). Flipping through it, I noticed the following entry on page A-24:

CHASSIS BLACK PAINT

Economical protective finish for car and truck chassis.
  • Economical asphalt-base coating for spraying the frame rails and other exposed parts of the chassis.
  • Dries rapidly to a semi-glossy black finish.
  • Covers solidly in one coat.
1-GALLON CAN...................PART NO. B8A-1713-A

After reading that, I did a bit of searching around, and found discussion on Model A Ford forums that Ford used an asphalt-based black chassis paint on the Model A's (possibly on the T's too), and they and other manufacturers (G.M., Mopar, A.O. Smith) used such a product through the 60's. So the question is: was the chassis black paint used on Mustang engine compartments and various other components an asphalt-based paint?

I've got a Ford starter in my garage that came off a 1966 200 six. Presumably original, but I can't say for sure. It is painted black and has the same sheen (under the dirt) and general appearance as the black in my '68s engine compartment. I tested a couple of spots with mineral spirits, and with some soaking and a little bit of rubbing, the paint started coming off. Not like paint stripper where paint loosens up and pulls away. More of a gradual dissolving. Same thing with gasoline (this was a science project: I do not endorse using gasoline for anything other than powering your Mustang!). That's certainly not proof, but it makes me want to keep digging.

I did find one other thread on the forum where an owner was pondering what the black paint on his steering box was:

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=507.msg2532#msg2532

I'm curious to know what was used on the assembly lines. Even if it was asphalt-based originally, it may not be the best choice to use for restoration compared to modern paints. I'm purely interested in the history aspect. What do you all know about this?

Quanta makes an asphalt-based paint aimed at Corvette restorers:

http://www.gastanks.com/Q-Coat-Asphalt-Based-Frame-Chassis-Paint-1-Quart/productinfo/06-14/
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline Toploader

Re: Chassis black
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 03:27:56 PM »
Great research! Let's hope someone can add some facts to this.
76A-Y-D2-13H-72-6-6
1965 Californian Built Silver Blue Convertible

Offline GD64

• Bronze Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 05:19:47 AM »
The first thing that came to my mind was the '48 part number and thoughts of original usage being specific to full chassis vehicles?
Interesting topic.
64 Galaxie (54A)
RHD Export Model
390 4V, Dual Range Automatic
Oaville, Ontario Assembly plant.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 03:18:37 AM »
Believe what you found is what Ford suggested to be used for repairs not what was original used on the line for the Mustangs. In the early years of this hobby we could still buy this stuff your mention. Not even close to the original stuff IMHO

Guys with the Model A and Early V8s were using the stuff on their frame at that time - might never have change it after all these years

Really remember the asphalt fumes the stuff put off.  You did bring back some - not so pleasant memories

Because of the look and reaction between the painted surfaces and the sloppy black out black that might have been this asphalt-base or even a lacquer. But it would IMHO likely differ with year and plant since some of these applicactions appear closer to straight engine compartment black while other appear to react to the base paint.  At least some workers have been described a gallon or coffee can with a large brush to cover when other painters didn't cover enough of what ever should have been hidden
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 03:27:34 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)