Author Topic: interior panel screw !  (Read 1792 times)

Offline mhubert89

interior panel screw !
« on: July 14, 2015, 03:23:38 PM »
hi,

what kind of screw & bolt suppose to be use to put back all interior panel in a 68 fastback ? what finish suppose to have the screw ?  did they sold a interior kit concours somewhere to done all the panel ?

thanks
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed
Built in Dearborn on April 16th

Offline jwc66k

Re: interior panel screw !
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 04:35:33 PM »
You need to get a set of Mustang Assembly Manuals for your year car. They show position, quantity, finish and part numbers required. The manuals are available at most Mustang online stores.
AMK Products http://www.amkproducts.com/ sells individual packs of screws and kits for your car. They are very good and accurate.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 04:45:38 PM »
The small headed screws is what your looking for. The "standard" size heads will stand out in more ways than one.  Kits have been available for over 25 years from most Mustang shops well before AMK came about

I've found that those will normally fill your needs
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 05:41:52 PM »
Oki perfect thanks !
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 09:16:56 AM »
You need to get a set of Mustang Assembly Manuals for your year car. They show position, quantity, finish and part numbers required. The manuals are available at most Mustang online stores.
AMK Products http://www.amkproducts.com/ sells individual packs of screws and kits for your car. They are very good and accurate.
Jim

I have a set of osborne assembly manuals but hard to see what kind of screws and the finish !
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 11:32:24 AM »
I have a set of osborne assembly manuals but hard to see what kind of screws and the finish !
The lines going from the screw in question will go to a letter ,the letter corresponds with the same letter in a list somewhere on the page in the manual . The letter on the list will indicate a number which identifies the fastener. You look that number up in another book that you need called the "AMK guide to fasteners ". You will take the number associated with the fastener in question that you found in the assembly manuals and find it in a list of numbers in the back of the AMK book . When you find the same number in the back of the book it will give a page to turn to . On the page you will find a picture of the screw . Also when you look up  the specific number on the page it will give the size and the length of the screw. The finish is also given when you find the number initially on the assembly manual page . There is a glossary in the AMK book that translate the letter and number into the finish . The assembly manuals are great for the illustrations the numbers for fasteners you have to use the AMK reference to translate. The AMK book is typically sold by the same vendors that sell the manuals.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 12:29:15 PM »
The simple reason is that there are no dimensional descriptions on hardware included in the Mustang Assembly Manuals. This is a common practice in engineering and assembly line procedures. It's all coded.
The lines going from the screw in question will go to a letter ,the letter corresponds with the same letter in a list somewhere on the page in the manual . The letter on the list will indicate a number which identifies the fastener. You look that number up in another book that you need called the "AMK guide to fasteners ". You will take the number associated with the fastener in question that you found in the assembly manuals and find it in a list of numbers in the back of the AMK book . When you find the same number in the back of the book it will give a page to turn to . On the page you will find a picture of the screw . Also when you look up  the specific number on the page it will give the size and the length of the screw. The finish is also given when you find the number initially on the assembly manual page . There is a glossary in the AMK book that translate the letter and number into the finish . The assembly manuals are great for the illustrations the numbers for fasteners you have to use the AMK reference to translate. The AMK book is typically sold by the same vendors that sell the manuals.
There is a short cut you might try. In the Library Section of this forum under the title of "Mustang Hardware Spreadsheets, 67-68" you will find two spreadsheet attachments, one by application, MHW67-68AP01, and one by part number, MHW67-68PN01. You can find the description of the part in question in the latter spreadsheet. The spreadsheets are based on the "Mustang Assembly Manuals" and "AMK Guide to Ford Fasteners". There is another list of finishes in the Library - "Finish Codes - Short List". Try them.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.