Author Topic: Windshield washer nozzles  (Read 3570 times)

Offline ruppstang

Windshield washer nozzles
« on: August 21, 2015, 09:19:38 AM »
I was going through my tray of washer nozzles and discovered that some have a silver zinc finish and others have a blackish-brown finish. My question is was this a plant difference, 67 or 68 difference or just two different suppliers?   

Offline 67gta289

Re: Windshield washer nozzles
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 11:38:40 AM »
I don't have the answer, but can provide some input when I get to my cars later.  I'll be interested as the facts become revealed.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 04:27:34 PM »
My Dearborn-built coupe has the blackish finish.

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours, Original Owner
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified - All Years

Offline 67gta289

John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 10:56:59 PM »
Thanks John I ran a search on washer nozzles and got nothing yesterday. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 09:15:08 PM »
Started looking through my pictures - so far only find 68 San Jose cars using the zinc ) finished ones.

Will report back as I get through at least San Jose production
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 10:24:43 PM »
I was going through my tray of washer nozzles and discovered that some have a silver zinc finish and others have a blackish-brown finish. My question is was this a plant difference, 67 or 68 difference or just two different suppliers?
The single nozzle squirters are typically zinc and the double squirters which transitioned in later 67 production are typically the blackish.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 11:16:52 PM »
Can't see (or of course remove) the tips to compare those but the vast majority of original 68 San Jose Mustangs I have pictures of have the zinc finish. Have only 2 (compared to about 40) of the dark version. Didn't compare VINs to see if its a production period there.

Have no idea - not enough samples - from the other plants but at least in this example it might be that the supplier to San Jose was different from the other two plants after 67. My conclusion based on what I see at this point
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 11:42:15 PM »
Can't see (or of course remove) the tips to compare those but the vast majority of original 68 San Jose Mustangs I have pictures of have the zinc finish. Have only 2 (compared to about 40) of the dark version. Didn't compare VINs to see if its a production period there.

Have no idea - not enough samples - from the other plants but at least in this example it might be that the supplier to San Jose was different from the other two plants after 67. My conclusion based on what I see at this point
I don't mean to be contrary on purpose but most of my observations are on 67 Shelby's (SJ for others reading). I noticed a distinct transition in plating  between the different type (single vs double ) of squirters on the early  vs later 67 SJ sampling I studied . I never contemplated any observations on 68 SJ cars in regards to the squirters because they were outside my field of interest . Maybe the 68 SJ version changed for some reason. The 68 Shelby's (Metuchen for others reading) seemed to all be the dark variety but they were also all the double squirter type too.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 09:22:27 AM »
Our 67 SJ GTA built 11-04-66 has as Bob described zinc plated single squriter type. Our 68 SJ HCS built 7-16-68 has the blackish finish double squirter type.
When I looked through my collection it appears that the black finish on the base wears off to leave a silver zinc finish. This could be a source of confusion particularly with photos.

Offline Murf

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 01:14:05 PM »
Our 68 California Special (scheduled build date 4 - 3 - 68 ) has the blackened double squirters. 
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 05:13:16 PM »
.......When I looked through my collection it appears that the black finish on the base wears off to leave a silver zinc finish. This could be a source of confusion particularly with photos.

This could possibly be the reason I'm seeing what I am - not like I have pictures of the ends to match up the style (single or double)
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2020, 06:20:03 AM »
Our 67 SJ GTA built 11-04-66 has as Bob described zinc plated single squriter type. Our 68 SJ HCS built 7-16-68 has the blackish finish double squirter type.
When I looked through my collection it appears that the black finish on the base wears off to leave a silver zinc finish. This could be a source of confusion particularly with photos.

I chose Marty's example to discuss because his build date is so close to mine 11/2/66 SJ vs. 11/4/66 SJ.
What I have found on my build is the "single squirter" with zinc plating ONLY on the mounting flange of the squirter nozzle. The tube portion was clearly a blackened color, much like the black rainbow-like finish we recently discussed on the 65-67 seat mounting shim plates.

This sounds inconsistent to what others are sharing but it appears like the blackened tubing was soldered on AFTER the plating of the mounting flange portion of this type of nozzle.

I sent both to be plated and now the whole nozzle is silver zinc, I feel unlike what it was originally. I did not exactly take a picture of the " before/after" except by cropping out images of the before but you can get an idea of an "all zinc" version of the "after" plating.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 06:25:48 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2020, 11:46:26 AM »
I chose Marty's example to discuss because his build date is so close to mine 11/2/66 SJ vs. 11/4/66 SJ.
What I have found on my build is the "single squirter" with zinc plating ONLY on the mounting flange of the squirter nozzle. The tube portion was clearly a blackened color, much like the black rainbow-like finish we recently discussed on the 65-67 seat mounting shim plates.

This sounds inconsistent to what others are sharing but it appears like the blackened tubing was soldered on AFTER the plating of the mounting flange portion of this type of nozzle.

I sent both to be plated and now the whole nozzle is silver zinc, I feel unlike what it was originally. I did not exactly take a picture of the " before/after" except by cropping out images of the before but you can get an idea of an "all zinc" version of the "after" plating.
Richard, the squirter is made up of two seperate pieces that are brazed together. It would seem to makes the most sense for the two unplated parts to be brazed together before plating or coating of both together. One bare metal portion and one with a black chromate coating would not make sense if wanting to braze together plus the black chromate coating would be damaged by the heat in the area where the two would be joined together. That is why the double squirter version is all one color because it was coated as a completed assembly. If your single squirter was black on one portion chromate and zinc on another it would be more of a anomoly IMO then typical compared to others based on my and many others observations.Single squirters are typicall zinc silver and the doubles are typically coated with the black chromate (zinc underneath the coating). Of course it is your option to do what you want with your own car but don't be surprised if you get push back for black chromate on a single squirter by informed observers.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 11:48:43 AM by Bob Gaines »

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2020, 12:18:30 PM »
Richard, the squirter is made up of two seperate pieces that are brazed together. It would seem to makes the most sense for the two unplated parts to be brazed together before plating or coating of both together. One bare metal portion and one with a black chromate coating would not make sense if wanting to braze together plus the black chromate coating would be damaged by the heat in the area where the two would be joined together. That is why the double squirter version is all one color because it was coated as a completed assembly. If your single squirter was black on one portion chromate and zinc on another it would be more of a anomoly IMO then typical compared to others based on my and many others observations.Single squirters are typicall zinc silver and the doubles are typically coated with the black chromate (zinc underneath the coating). Of course it is your option to do what you want with your own car but don't be surprised if you get push back for black chromate on a single squirter by informed observers.
I get what you are saying and pointed that out in my earlier reply but what do you make of my pictures?  Those, to the best of my knowledge are the original ones from my vehicle and there looks to be no sign of zinc on the tubes, as I said, they are currently COMPLETELY plated silver as you recommended. They also look to be single squirter nozzles too so the "all black originally" doesn't seem to fit either. Mind you, this was more for discussion than to set any rules or anomaly to any said pattern. Odds are, I never changed them out since the car's first paint job...most, if not ALL under hood finishes on this car were 95-100% original when I first bought it only 10 years old...things like these nozzles would typically have still looked much like new (in 1978 thru 80, which is the last time I would have had unfettered access to the junkyards around me). No signs of paint on them (only under them) at tear down so that DOES says they were removed a minimal of 3-times between 1978 and 1985 (the latest repainting prior to removing them for restoration this time).
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments