Author Topic: How to remove a 69-70 windshield rear view glued on mirror bracket  (Read 3275 times)

Offline kcodecoupe

How to remove a 69-70 windshield rear view glued on mirror bracket
« on: September 08, 2015, 08:24:35 AM »
What is the best way to remove a 69-70 windshield glued on rear view mirror bracket without damage to the glass, thanks.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: How to remove a 69-70 windshield rear view glued on mirror bracket
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 09:16:52 AM »
I have a way I have used many times before without ever a problem but I cannot guarantee you success because of the nature of old glass.

Remove the mirror, using an adjustable wrench (crescent wrench) adjust to a snug fit on the long sides of the bracket. Twist quickly. This will shear the glue or glue strip. Clean any remains of glue or glue strip with a new single edge razor blade.

You either have success or you now need a new windshield.

Personally, this has never failed me. I am sure one day there will be a first. Good luck. FEAR is your enemy  ???
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 09:19:05 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 05:19:39 PM »
I have had stuff glued so well that the inside layer of glass has actually sheared off, still attached to the mount. My method is quit a bit different, though has it's own inherent risks.

I normally heat the mount with a heat gun, gently applying pressure to the mount with a pair of pliers. While the glass will heat some, try to keep the heat focused on the mount as much as possible. You want to avoid heating the glass in order to prevent delamination (the risk with this method). My heat gun has a small nozzle so I'm able to focus heat on the mount. If you have the "normal" larger nozzle you could always form a small "funnel" out of aluminum and clamp on to help focus down the heat. It'll seem like nothing at all is happening and then it will pop off. I've never had any issues using this method. Good luck with either method.
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline 69bossnut

• DSD Restorations LLC
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 02:04:32 PM »
Use to do this a lot at a dealership I worked at. Just take a butane cig lighter put it on the mount for a minute will pull right off.
DAVID DAVIS
DSD RESTORATIONS LLC
5075 E. COUNTY RD. 126
BLYTHEVILLE, AR. 72315
870-780-4999
dsdresto@gmail.com
www.dsdrestoration.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 02:40:45 PM »
Wasn't sure if this subject was important enough to make an article for the Library. A few years back did this (since the repo windshield glass often comes with the incorrect bracket)  and took supporting pictures just in case.

I soaked the area - added a very small amount of heat - then popped it off with a razor blade.

Then measured and reapplied the correct bracket

Guess I need to put those pictures to use - and get something out now that you have confirmed there is a need for at least some of the members
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 06:53:42 PM »
kcodecoupe - Took a few minutes and threw something together based on the pictures I had on file.  It is in draft form but hopefully it will offer at least what I was able to do successfully

Will be polished and reposted in the Library

http://concoursmustang.com/speegle/Articles/Draft-Article-69-73InteriorMirror.pdf

If anyone notices something that needs corrected now is the time.

8)Remember any of you can produce an article and we'll help. Just provide nice clear pictures of every step and remember the safety issues connected with your process or task. Then craft out what you did in a word document step by step and we'll do the rest. We'll assemble it in the format, return it for your review, place your name giving you credit for the article and post it in our Library
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 06:57:18 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 08:18:58 PM »
Thanks Jeff'  Always nice to have some foot steps to follow.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 08:32:05 PM »
Jeff: There may be a typo in Step 2:

"During this process I monitored that the head never of the windshield never became uncomfortable to touch from the bottom side of the windshield."

The first "never" seems out of place.

Otherwise, a good primer.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 04:39:02 AM »
Jeff: There may be a typo in Step 2:................

Thanks - always do better when I can write something then go back days later- reread and correct.
Jeff Speegle

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 01:59:07 PM »
Jeff the article appears to be very useful and complete. I have issue with the tapping with the hammer (due to my luck I'm never comfortable with hammers around glass!), but I realize also that it's just another way to skin the same cat. I would recommend expanding on the installation portion, specifically in the area of applying the bracket. The instructions contained with most of the adhesive kits can be pretty vague at times. They usually contain phrases such as "clean area thoroughly", and then nothing further.

I have replaced approximately 30-40 mirror brackets (not all of them being on Mustangs). I've never had a single one comes loose. I attribute this in large part in the method I use to clean the surfaces prior to applying the adhesive and attaching. If you'd like to add them I've outlined the steps below:

1) Upon removing the bracket thoroughly wipe the mounting surface of windshield with isopropyl alcohol. Complete this step even if no bracket has ever been installed.
2) While still wet, scrap the area with a single edge razor blade.
3) Wipe the area again with isopropyl alcohol and a lint free towel. The windshield is now ready for any primers/adhesives to be applied per the adhesive manufacturers instructions.
4) Using a fine flat file or sanding block, clean and level the mounting face of the mirror bracket. If the bracket has been previously used, ensure no old adhesive remains. When the bracket mounting area is level (and any old adhesive is removed if applicable), wipe the bracket thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol and a lint free towel.
5) Apply primer/adhesive per manufacturers instructions. Usually one surface receives primer (generally the glass), and the other the adhesive (generally the bracket).

Cleanliness on both windshield and mounting bracket are the key to success with getting them to stick. I had one bracket stick so well that when the arm was accidentally hit it broke the mounting bracket off of windshield along with the inside layer of glass (still stuck to the bracket!). That sucker never turned loose! Hope you find this to be of some use.
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 04:21:33 PM »
Not really comfortable with the hammer glass either till I tried it. Found that if I slid the hammer horizontally with the surface of the glass I reduced the chance of issues or striking the glass directly

Great additions and suggestions will also include the other methods where I can
Jeff Speegle