Author Topic: Saw this on another site. Thoughts?  (Read 6728 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Saw this on another site. Thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2015, 01:12:27 PM »
The number of cars not driven is an extremely low number in the big picture.  If anyone has ever done a thoroughbred restoration, you'd know the time involved and appreciation of how difficult it is to find some parts.  It becomes an appreciation of the car and the effort put forth when the decision is made not to drive or even crank the car.  It eventually is just a choice and everyone can enjoy the "hobby" in different ways.  I would never knock someone that drives their car all over the place and also would never knock the guy that never drives their car.  There's plenty of room for everyone.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 03:37:08 PM by caspian65 »
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2015, 02:19:26 PM »
The number of cars not driven is an extremely low number in the big picture.  If anyone has ever done a thoroughbred restoration, you'd know the time involved and appreciation of how difficult it is to find some parts.  It becomes an appreciation of the car and the effort put forth when the decision is made not to drive or even crank the car.  It eventually is just a choice and everyone can enjoy the "hobby" in different ways.  I would never knock someone that drives their call over the place and also would never knock the guy that never drives their car.  There's plenty of room for everyone.

+ 1 Marty

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2015, 03:18:34 PM »
...  It eventually is just a choice and everyone can enjoy the "hobby" in different ways.  I would never knock someone that drives their car all over the place and also would never knock the guy that never drives their car.  There's plenty of room for everyone.

100% agree! (+2!) (except I corrected what I thought Charles meant to say. e.g. "call" translated to "car" and I added the word "all")
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 03:21:15 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2015, 04:15:04 PM »
Hence the reason for some people not wanting to drive a concours restored car. 

Value plays a part too. If driving a concours car is a bad thing, it has to hurt the value.  How much loss in value one can tolerate is an individuals choice.

I also thing originality of a restored car plays a part too. If you started with a very nice original car and restored most (all) of the original parts, do you want to take the chance of loosing it all to some fool texting while driving?

If the car was a basket case and is loaded with repo pieces, sheet metal, non original engine, etc. and IF something happens insurance will cover the cost to replace the parts and damage. Insurance can't bring back originality.

It's a sticky subject and not one size fits all.  Respect of owners decisions should be given, after all it's their car.

It is a fact that driving a restored concours car is a bad thing as it relates to concours judging. Fresh restorations are good.
+1. It depends on the venue and the class. A owner entering a class where the POINT is to have the car appear as close to the way it was new should understand this before entering his car and not feel slighted because deductions were made for things that don't look like new because he drives his or her car. There are different driven classes in some venues that may better fit a driven car expectations at a show. Some people don't care about shows and want to do their own thing . Well that's OK too just don't get fussy if others are looking for something different and try and impose your sensibilities on others as as example "I drive my car","I modify my car so it drives better", etc. and feel that all others should too.  The type of politically correct mentality that everyone should get a trophy is demeaning to those that go the extra mile in what ever venue they happen to be working to excel in whether that be a stock,modified ,driven or unrestored class.. That is why there is different classes with different parameters for excellence . You just have to know what you are getting into BEFORE you enter so that you have realistic expectations . Drive the car ,don't drive the car it is up to the owner but it is a little silly to get fussy about entering a car in a class that it is isn't prepared adequately  for or not restored to specifications for . The french concours or pebble beach concours vs. a typical Thoroughbred or DIV I  is a good example . Correctness vs look, It depends on the venue . Not one size (class ) fits all. This is not the first time this has come up and not the last. This is always a sticky subject because it is like someone is talking about your own child . Just my opinion for the discussion.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• 1964 1/2 K code coupe and 2022 GT500 HE
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2015, 10:25:57 PM »
Good points Bob.  You do have to accept the organization rules as they are, otherwise you have to take your desires to an organization that encourage, reward,  and even demand concours quality cars be driven to win the top awards.
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2015, 10:53:24 AM »
 I usually don't attend concours shows. Some of our cars are completely detailed underneath with stainless lines, etc. Mostly resto-mods, non- numbers matching. I encountered the guy, of whom I spoke, at Gilmore. I normally could care less about how one uses or does not use their car. It's their choice. But, when the guy used me as an example of what he thought was not to do, I replied.
 At the same show, this year, we were all up where/when the awards were handed out (participant choice). A guy came up to me, part way through, and asked if the award for class D had been given out. I told him that, yes, it had been. They were into several classes past. He was upset and kept wandering around behind the awards table like a kid who missed dessert. He never applauded, etc. for anyone who won an award. He just kept his arms crossed with a p-o'd look. Finally he interrupted the awards presenters and asked. He did get an award. His whole attitude changed and he over-loudly gave kudos to the winners. I would have waited until all the awards were given out before approaching the presenters. I just wonder what/how his reactions would have been had he not won? These are the guys that I cannot stand. Big cry babies if they don't win.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 10:56:40 AM by Smokey 15 »

Offline mikeljgt500kr

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2015, 07:34:13 PM »
It should not come as a surprise that when owners spend massive amounts of time, money, and personal efforts on their cars to get them as perfect as possible and to a judging venue,  they take it seriously.   It is also called passion.  :)
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2015, 07:52:09 PM »
 The way too many act, including that guy, I call it childish obsession. You can't always win. Should be fun to share your ride with others. Outdoor show. Participant vote. If it were a judged show then you may wonder why the best car was possibly overlooked.

Offline mikeljgt500kr

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2015, 08:11:13 PM »
True a participant vote show is not technical judging and so should be all for fun and talking to people.   Not what I was referring to at all.

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2015, 12:54:43 AM »
 BTW, Was anyone from this site at the Gilmore "Muscle Cars & More" Show on Sept. 13?  We were there with my wife's '68 Nova SS 327/350, 4-spd.  Definitely not a show car, just a nice driver.