3rd Generation 1979 - 1993 > 1984 - 1986 SVO

License Plate Frames

<< < (2/4) > >>

bluemax:

--- Quote from: Ken Potter on June 04, 2010, 10:57:12 PM ---Did you mean me and my 2R? 
--- End quote ---

Yep, sorry about that. I guess I had my '86 2A on my mind. It is a Jacksonville DSO and did not come with the front plate bracket. It is another "truckers strike" story in that the original owner ordered an '85.5, but due to the strike, an '86 arrived (it is a very early '86 VIN). He was not a happy camper and so the dealer threw in cruise and floor mats to sweeten the deal.  ::)

Thanks for your input, great story.  :)

bluemax:
I have a few more pictures comparing my rear plate frame to the NOS front plate frame. The rear frame engineering number stamped on the frame is D8AB-17A394-AWA (same number as what is on the installation instruction sheet). I am not sure how this compares to the part number listed in the '86 parts manual (D7AZ-17A387-A).

chalkys_explorer:

It's interesting to see the front and rear plates next to each other and compare the differences. Although they are minor; mounting tab square versus rounded, black flat area on front; they are different. Makes one wonder why Ford chose to use the different plate frames front and rear??

As for the part numbers, Ford's engineering (assembly line) numbers are often very different from the part numbers used in the service parts catalogue. As a case in point, I did a photo study of a low mile 85. One of the heater hoses had an E4SH-18D334-AA part number. This number is what appears in the assembly process sheet but the replacement part number is E4ZZ-18472 something. Another way to tell and original car from a restored one.

8T6 SVO:
Here's my 2 cents. 

The rear plate I have is a D9AB-17A394-AWA part # and a D8AB-17A394-AWA engineering number on the part.  It looks identical to the one Matt posted and looks the same as the E2GZ-17A387-A front plate.

1966sprint200:
I am new to concoursmustang website.  I own three 65-66 Mustangs but recently came across the D8AB-17A394-AWA / D9AB-17A394-AWA license frame still incased in a plastic sleeve which you guys are discussing.  I do not need this frame & would like for it to go to a good home -- someone who will use it on their concours Mustang & not resale it.  Would like my shipping costs covered is all.  It is the silver version with black stripe & appears in mint condition & has the paper instructions included.  Let me know if you're interested - Dean

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version