Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Body, Paint & Sealers

1967-up Black (Dark Charcoal) interior paint question

<< < (2/3) > >>

brennancarey:
Hi

I managed to get the formulation for Dark Charcoal Metallic 32586 for those needing.  8) 8)
My concern is its a Base Coat and my paint shop tells me I should apply matte clear over it.

Thoughts about this???

CharlesTurner:
Interior paint should be a satin/eggshell finish.  If it's painted gloss, it will probably look like a fancy bass boat paint job, lol.

RocketScientist:
Normally metallic paints are designed to be COB (clear over base) and so need a clear coat to seal and protect the base paint. It is also a good way to get the gloss level right.

However, looking at your paint mix it has the matting base as part of the formulation and looks to be made up as a single coat system. In this case you shouldn't need a clear coat. I would suggest test painting a panel and seeing what the color is like and go from there.

brennancarey:

--- Quote from: RocketScientist on June 26, 2017, 09:29:35 PM ---Normally metallic paints are designed to be COB (clear over base) and so need a clear coat to seal and protect the base paint. It is also a good way to get the gloss level right.

However, looking at your paint mix it has the matting base as part of the formulation and looks to be made up as a single coat system. In this case you shouldn't need a clear coat. I would suggest test painting a panel and seeing what the color is like and go from there.

--- End quote ---

Yes thats what I thought in that it has a matt base and why then would it need a clear.. however if just the base is required I wonder if the base requires hardener? (because usually base you dont apply hardener into it)

RocketScientist:
Yes, if you plan to clear coat the base, then the base doesn't need the matt in it. Normally in these cases, you alter the gloss level of the clear to give you the finish you want and so to put it in the base becomes a waste. For example, if you apply a gloss clear over a satin base then the paint will become glossy.

I think colors are  made up to be able to go into either a single or two component systems and so it does not necessarily need a hardener. A paint shop should be able to make the required adjustments to make it fit either paint types. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version