Author Topic: Most appropriate replacement starter for 65?  (Read 514 times)

Offline 65IVYGT

Most appropriate replacement starter for 65?
« on: October 20, 2022, 12:10:55 PM »
Need a new starter. Aftermarket is likely my only option. So, is there a preferred brand / style that most closely resembles original? 

I ask because the MCA Rules specifically say that a "Carter" fuel pump is an acceptable replacement for an original CARbureTER fuel pump. Thus, that is what is in my car.

But nothing is mentioned about starters. So...just looking for feedback on what is closest to original or commonly accepted by judges?

Thanks in advance...

May 65 4-Speed GT SJ     
65 GT Coupe, SJ:5/17, Factory Air and PS, 4-Speed, Ivy Green, Pony Interior.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Most appropriate replacement starter for 65?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2022, 12:38:47 PM »
is it not possible to rebuild your unit?  that is take the guts from a new one and put them in your case.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2022, 05:28:12 PM »
"Aftermarket" covers allot of ground. Guess your describing a new not rebuilt unit. On an aftermarket it may be shaped differently or have features that don't match an original so without seeing what your considering its basically impossible to comment on.  Since your standard appears to be to "get by" rather than what was used originally and what details did it include I will offer, besides the comments of the first two sentences that most often deductions include the details below if the basic starter is correct. Fortunately or unfortunately a 65 starter is well exposed to the eye so pretty easy to see and pick out details right or wrong

- Starter incorrectly painted
- Cover incorrect for year
- Band not painted with the starter or lacking gasket between it and the main body
- Repair stud (on a rebuilt) on the cable attachment point
- Wrong hardware
- Given the class you might be entering based on your post they should not be looking to see if the main case has stamped identification and date in it but its a good idea for your year to make any visible stamping go away.
- Should have correct ink identification stamp on the housing with the correct number

Can't predict what judges at MCA might do in any given situation since they are rarely the same ones from show to show other than one or maybe two "regulars"

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 65IVYGT

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 07:08:31 PM »
Mine isn?t original so no need to rebuild it. I have no particular starter in mind. I came here first. Simply looking for suggestions on brands that might look more original than others. Carter fuel pumps don?t look entirely like originals, but the MCA rules specifically mentions them as acceptable replacements. So, curious if there is any sort of consensus on starter brands that may be close or brought closer to original with some work.

I?m not opposed to buying a nice rebuilt original if someone is selling one or can point me in that direction.  😊

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2022, 08:16:52 PM »
Mine isn?t original so no need to rebuild it. I have no particular starter in mind. I came here first. Simply looking for suggestions on brands that might look more original than others. Carter fuel pumps don?t look entirely like originals, but the MCA rules specifically mentions them as acceptable replacements. So, curious if there is any sort of consensus on starter brands that may be close or brought closer to original with some work.

I?m not opposed to buying a nice rebuilt original if someone is selling one or can point me in that direction.  😊
It has to do with the look of the stater opposed to a brand .Rebuilt used is the way to go as I have not seen a new one yet that looks even close other then general shape.  Jeff mentioned the look that a rebuilt starter is expected to look like. I would add the nose cone is significantly different different on a pre 1970 starter vs. a later one on the portion on the inside of the bell housing and the portion seen on the outside is also different and identities it as such . There is a Carter marked button top fuel pump and a CAR bure TER marked button top. However there is a difference between a Carter marked buttontop vs. a very common later Cater marked non button top.  Buttontop style fuelpumps are original.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 08:21:11 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 65IVYGT

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2022, 08:57:59 PM »
Thank you, Bob. I appreciate the information.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2022, 10:12:58 PM »
Mine isn?t original so no need to rebuild it. I have no particular starter in mind. I came here first. Simply looking for suggestions on brands that might look more original than others. Carter fuel pumps don?t look entirely like originals, but the MCA rules specifically mentions them as acceptable replacements. So, curious if there is any sort of consensus on starter brands that may be close or brought closer to original with some work. ...

There are companies that sell rebuilt originals and we've discussed them a few times. If you don't have a core you just pay a little more. Problem is that they are not focused on the details as you will find discussed here through they do used words like concours and restored in their ads. Like most rebuilders they may disassemble a hundred starters, put all the parts in the cleaner then mix and match the parts to build their end products
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)