Author Topic: Size / Thread / Type of Bolt - Removing motor  (Read 780 times)

Offline ChrisV289

Size / Thread / Type of Bolt - Removing motor
« on: February 14, 2020, 08:10:33 PM »
I'm going to be pulling the motor out of my blue fastback for the first time.  What type and size bolts should I get that will mount he engine leveler brackets to the engine and also what bolts to get for the engine stand as well?  The AOD transmission is also coming out hopefully at the same time. 

Thanks
Chris
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline jwc66k

Re: Size / Thread / Type of Bolt - Removing motor
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 12:19:44 AM »
I prefer to pull the engine and transmission separately. For the "leveler", I use a couple 3/8-16 bolts into the head.
Drain it.
Remove from car: radiator, "H" or "Y" pipe, firewall braces.
Remove from engine: wiring, plumbing, alternator, carburetor, linkages, A/C, P/S, exhaust manifolds.
Attach the leveler.
Disconnect the converter from the flexplate.
Prop up the front of the transmission. I use a one inch wide adjustable strap looped unde the transmission and attached to where the firewall braces went
Attach the hoist.
Disconnect the transmission.
Hold my beer.
Lift.
The AOD transmission is also coming out hopefully at the same time. 

AOD?
Use 7/16-14 bolts for the stand.
Jim

I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gt390fb

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 04:47:37 AM »
and make sure they are grade 5 or grade 8 bolts
7R02S153xxx      12/15/66

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 12:15:45 PM »
Remove the coolant drain plugs on both sides of the block also.  After draining the radiator and removing the hoses, there's still a good liter or more of coolant in the block and it's not pleasant when it starts spilling all over the floor when you're pulling the motor out.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 01:55:09 PM »
Remove the coolant drain plugs on both sides of the block also.  After draining the radiator and removing the hoses, there's still a good liter or more of coolant in the block and it's not pleasant when it starts spilling all over the floor when you're pulling the motor out.
+1 .Of course much easier to remove plugs on a fresh engine compared to one that hasn't had the plugs removed for years or decades.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 02:33:56 PM »
I don't use a leveler. Never needed one. I use the shortest piece of chain that I can stretch from a bolt in one cylinder head (3/8" X 16) to the other cylinder head. That way the hood can stay on. 390 / 427 / 428 CJ engines are heavy enough so the transmission goes in or out separately.

1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 06:46:39 PM »
couple 3/8-16 bolts into the head.

Use 7/16-14 bolts for the stand.

Any specific length of bolt for both the leveler and the engine stand?

As you can see in the thread below most everything has been taken off the motor and in front of the car as well.  I do need to still drain the oil and the transmission fluid from the tranny and torque convertor.  Plan on selling the AOD transmission since I have a top loader ready to go in the car.  Then a friend will pick up the motor for it to be gone through and rebuilt and then I will repaint it the correct black and everything else...

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=19654.15
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe