Author Topic: 67 deluxe door panel door handle cup fit  (Read 5516 times)

1967 eight barrel

Re: 67 deluxe door panel door handle cup fit
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 01:16:27 AM »
I apologize for the late responses. I just was discharged from the hospital today after a week. I am dealing with Kristen at TMI. They will warranty their panels period with one caveat: You have to have the original receipt. I am looking for mine, currently. They know what I have us new and they are made different than anyone else's.
I tried to keep all the receipts, but this project has droned one for years. Oddly enough NPD says their invoices only go back two years... Hmmmm

Offline socalgt

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 08:06:05 PM »
TMI is stepping up and sending me new panels...but...I don't really know how these will accommodate the door handle cups any better than the ones I have.  I asked them not to slit the opening, thinking maybe I can do that in a way that will let the cup fit better without tearing the vinyl around it.  They sent me a picture of one of their panels with the cup installed, but it wasn't  pushed all the way down where it  needs to be, otherwise it would have created the same problem I have.  I'm going to install the cups just far enough down to not expose the area I don't want to show and widen the hole as necessary to allow the handle to be installed.  I really can't think of any other way to resolve this.  Appears to me  their panels needed to have been made with the vinyl extended further down in the opening to allow the cup to fit down as far as it should go.  On another, but related subject.  The Scott Drake cups aren't rectangular, but bent in on the long sides.  I called them but they really didn't care.  I used a heat gun to bend them back rectangular.  Unfortunately they fit so tight in the opening that tearing the surrounding vinyl is almost unavoidable....enough on this problem....I'm moving on.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2016, 05:15:50 PM »
............I used a heat gun to bend them back rectangular.  Unfortunately they fit so tight in the opening that tearing the surrounding vinyl is almost unavoidable....enough on this problem....I'm moving on.

So the repo cups are all plastic?  Just asking
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2016, 09:24:34 AM »
So the repo cups are all plastic?  Just asking

I interpret this as the inside door HANDLE cup (handle, as the one to open door with, not the door pull cup).

I used my original door handle cups over, a tough fit to get them into the Dashes Direct Panels. (purchased through Scott Drake)
The door pull cups I bought (also Scott Drake) did not fit those holes at all so I also re-used my originals, pressed them into the panels and dyed the panels to match after both sets of cups were installed (to minimized damaging the fresh dye)

I'm not sure how people could CONVERT to the deluxe panels using these reproduction panel parts & pieces if they didn't at least have all OEM parts & pieces from an original donor. I understand the reproduction stainless trim is a joke too. (didn't try them so don't know) Also, I wasn't highly impressed with the Scott Drake brushed aluminum panels either but they are at least "usable" and they fit pretty good too. I saved my originals to consider having them refurbished ut they are scratched and scraped deeply so may not be best candidates for the process.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2016, 10:20:22 AM »
Also, I wasn't highly impressed with the Scott Drake brushed aluminum panels either but they are at least "usable" and they fit pretty good too. I saved my originals to consider having them refurbished ut they are scratched and scraped deeply so may not be best candidates for the process.

PM sent about the Drake brushed aluminum panels. 
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline socalgt

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2016, 04:40:51 PM »
Received the new replacement panels from TMI....the pre-cut areas for the door handle cup are even worse this time....it will show after the cups are set down in at the correct depth....the cuts are so bad that even if the cups were left flush with the top of the cutout, which is incorrect, these cuts will still show.  I had requested the new panels be left uncut, but they were delivered already cut....  I'm done with TMI, as you can imagine.

Offline socalgt

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2016, 07:33:14 PM »
I'm attaching pics of the Dashes Direct panels...you can see how much better the cut out areas are for the handle cup and door  pull...what a difference...I've ordered them and am returning these TMI panels....these were impossible  to correctly and neatly install the cup and pull. Can't believe how  poor the opening was made in the TMI panels.  Good customer service(replacing the panels)doesn't really count if you get the same poorly constructed product again.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 09:20:43 PM by socalgt »

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2016, 03:32:32 PM »
Pictures of Dashes Direct with original door opening handle & door pull pockets installed
Off topic, the 2nd picture depicts the difference of a Scott Drake reproduction brushed aluminum trim insert next to my original
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2016, 03:56:34 PM »
Pictures of Dashes Direct with original door opening handle & door pull pockets installed
Off topic, the 2nd picture depicts the difference of a Scott Drake reproduction brushed aluminum trim insert next to my original

Can't recall but have we gone over/discussed the early and later versions of the deluxe door panel brushed panels?

If not thing we need another thread to discuss, show and inform current and future viewers ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)