1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1967 Mustang

Keys

<< < (2/3) > >>

krelboyne:
Set of 3 double cut trunk keys

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: Bossbill on October 18, 2017, 01:51:26 PM ---

For Concours should I source an NOS brass ignition and trunk key and put the round disc with it? Or use the old brass and get a new brass trunk key? Does the disc key number mean anything to judges or will any old number (not matching to car) suffice?

--- End quote ---
There is going to be slight variations on the judging style of different judges . If I were to see the wrong keys in the ignition or older worn looking keys there would be a deduction . That goes for the extra set too.  Right is right and wrong is wrong. If I didn't see the keys chances are I would not ask to see them . The better the car is the more likely I would ask to see them. Time is a issue in judging typically. Typically we do not have the time to cover every single thing on a car (thousands). The less that is wrong the more time to cover other things. As far as the key code discs go and using a random one for display purposes ,technically they are suppose to be correct . With that said I have not ever tried to cross reference the number on the disc in any way . You can read between the lines if you choose.  If I didn't see the disc on a set that may be in the ignition I wouldn't have a issue . If I saw the set in the ignition with the key code disc I would probably include a  :)  on the judging sheet to show appreciation for the extra detail effort. If I saw the extra set that would have come in the glove box and it didn't have a disc I would see that as a problem because although the disc was routinely removed from the primary key set it should be on the secondary key set. . 

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: krelboyne on October 18, 2017, 03:37:03 PM ---Set of 3 double cut trunk keys

--- End quote ---
For the 67-70 cars that I typically judge that used that style key for example the first style with the round hole would be correct and the other two with the oval hole is not correct.  FYI "correct" doesn't necessarily equate to functionally better. Many things evolved to be better for a given application. In the case of the keys, the oval opening is a better design for the application but is not historically correct.

Bossbill:
As always, appreciate the answers.

I gather the aluminum, round hole with correct markings is a dealer sourced item in that same time period? Simply, another set of keys, but not correct to the car as delivered.

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: Bossbill on October 18, 2017, 06:19:59 PM ---As always, appreciate the answers.

I gather the aluminum, round hole with correct markings is a dealer sourced item in that same time period? Simply, another set of keys, but not correct to the car as delivered.

--- End quote ---
I don't think it was the same time period as when the 67 cars were produced. I havn't devoted a lot of time to it because it was not assemblyline so if someone has more definitive information I am all ears. I am not sure when the aluminum key started but I am under the impression it was around the early 70's  shortly before the oval keys started. Original type keys are still prevalent enough that it shouldn't be a problem sourcing them. Go on ebay at any given time and you can typically find them. They may even repro them now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version