Author Topic: Appraisals & NADA Price Guide - Valid for Asking Price?  (Read 1421 times)

Offline sdgrant

Appraisals & NADA Price Guide - Valid for Asking Price?
« on: August 10, 2010, 01:10:49 AM »
In the last two weeks, I've gone to see two excellent cars that I've always wanted to see.  Last weeks was the '66 Galaxie 7 Litre convertible, and last Sunday (in Johnpro's memory) I went to see & drive a nice driver '65 Mustang GT convertible.  Both owners cited NADA price guide (Galaxie) and appraisals (Mustang) to firmly insist on over-inflated prices.  Both were insisting on $30K+, and recent market conditions are more like high teens for the Galaxie, maybe low $20s for the Mustang. 

Are these 3rd party price indicators a realistic indicator of current market values?  I always thought the NADA guides were way off, and appraisals were for insurance purposes but not valid as a selling point.
Steve Grant
MCA Certified Judge, '64½ - '66 class
1964½ Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Appraisals & NADA Price Guide - Valid for Asking Price?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 10:01:06 AM »
NADA value is not an accurate guide for classic cars, the market fluctuates too much for them to keep track.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

hongjingjingxzb

Re: Appraisals & NADA Price Guide - Valid for Asking Price?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 10:16:06 PM »
Great story I hope to see you and your 68 at an MCA National Show in the future. The guys at the East Texas Mustang club are great. I to have a smilar story a 67 mustang that my mom purchased in 68 and it became my first car in 1976, however I managed to hang on to it through the years. Great story and good luck That is a great story Roger. I had a 68 as well. I tried putting big tires on it. Every time I went over a bump the fender-wells cut the outside of the tires. I installed my first cassette player in that car. Brings back some good memories. Thanx.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 11:23:54 PM by Sluggo »