Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Drivetrain

Rear End Oil Slinger - 66

<< < (2/2)

Brian Conway:
 author=rrenz This one right...here.

I have no idea what a ' slinger '  would be doing there.  Can't see that it is doing anything on that side of the bearing.  Does provide a seat for the bearing but not much else.  FWIW the 69 pinion does not have a ' slinger ' in that position.  Brian

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: Brian Conway on June 28, 2017, 06:36:54 PM --- author=rrenz This one right...here.

I have no idea what a ' slinger '  would be doing there.  Can't see that it is doing anything on that side of the bearing.  .............

--- End quote ---

Think it would work from keeping the oil from creeping up the shaft and away from the seal or overloading it as the shaft spins much like the one on the crankshaft that keeps the oil from creeping up on the front crank seal 

Just my spin on the possible reason for the inclusion by the engineers   ::)

Looking at the drawings in the last version of the MPC that was printed the slinger is shown for all versions with the removable center sections (3rd members) not on 6 cylinder rear ends but its dropped from the drawing in the one labled for 1968-72 Mustangs as well as a bunch of other applciations

68 version of the MPC shows that the slinger C3OZ--=4670-A was used on 62-67 for 8" rearends  9" rearends used a different part

jwc66k:
This is what I thought the question was about. This particular one was used only on "Equa Lock" rear ends. It was "designed out" in the later "Traction Lock" rear end.
Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version